Author Topic: Hard Starting when Warm  (Read 565 times)

Offline cb550k-aaron

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Hard Starting when Warm
« on: September 23, 2018, 05:16:53 PM »
Hi guy's,

My CB550 for some reason is very hard to start with the kick or Battery when I've been out a run and then stopped.

I have a Dynatek ignition system. Everything is all timed and valves perfect.

Anyone any thoughts?

I got caught out yesterday and had to trailer it home :(

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Starting when Warm
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 07:19:36 PM »
When did you last fit new plugs, also check your suppressor caps and ht leads, these are the easy things to eliminate. I think it sounds like a fuelling issue, are you sure the carbs are set up ok. The best advice i can give is to go through the entire setup, fuel and ignition and check everything is within spec. Is it a standard setup i.e. std airbox

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 07:55:48 PM »
To help with diagnosis,  take a can of e-z-start out with you.  Spray into intakes to see if it'll get it going,  success usually means a fuel problem,  still fails usually means your looking at ignition.

Do you have a compression reading with the engine hot? It'll give more insight to any difficulties.

Offline cb550k-aaron

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 08:32:26 PM »
It starts nearly first time when cold and runs and sounds perfect.

Plugs are a Dark Brown colour when out.

It has 4-1 Headers with Pods. I have 110 Jets and down to the 3 nick on Needle.

New choke cable too.

Plugs only new less than 500 miles ago as are the Leads and Caps

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 10:01:04 PM »
550 with choke cable! Would it be a K3 with PD carbs? If so they are a swine to get right on standard setup never mind with the alterations you have made. I suspect bigger pilot jets may help as those carbs are set to run very lean and your mods have made it leaner, trouble is they are press in jets and not readily available. Only place i know is Sirius in Canada and they do very few sizes

Offline cb550k-aaron

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 11:21:16 AM »
550 with choke cable! Would it be a K3 with PD carbs? If so they are a swine to get right on standard setup never mind with the alterations you have made. I suspect bigger pilot jets may help as those carbs are set to run very lean and your mods have made it leaner, trouble is they are press in jets and not readily available. Only place i know is Sirius in Canada and they do very few sizes

That's the very one!! Tbh, I'd nearly go as far as saying it's maybe too rich. It's very Dark Brown. That's after a good run and slow down with clutch in and plug out. There's absolutely no white on any plug at all.

Maybe pull the needle up a clip and try it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal