Author Topic: CB550 (F1) Left crankcase cover oil leak - starter motor o ring seal  (Read 602 times)

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
I don't often get to contribute, more a lurker soaking up others' experience. On this occasion for over the last two seasons I've replaced the oil pump seals, the oil pressure switch (recommend Bosch equivalent part), the sprocket cover seal twice and the gear selector seal.

I suspect I have finally found the culprit after a throwaway line in a forum - starter motor seal. I haven't replaced and tested yet, but as the picture shows, I had an "ah-AH!!! Gotcha you ****er" moment yesterday which others might find useful.

Where the oil weeps from makes it hard to determine which direction it goes. The wicking effect on the cables could be from the rear to the front, not the other way around which it in fact was.   It is difficult to see oil under the starter, so in poor light it is easy to miss. Pulling the motor is easy, just ease it out with the two fixing bolts gone, I didn't bother unplugging it for this.

Hopefully I have finally found the true source of the Nile.

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
Re: CB550 (F1) Left crankcase cover oil leak - starter motor o ring seal
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »
Hah - the chain oiler bonus did cross my mind, but I plan a long journey next year, I don't want to be worrying about oil levels as much after 500 miles.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal