Author Topic: Restoring a 500 back mudguard  (Read 223 times)

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Restoring a 500 back mudguard
« on: September 25, 2018, 09:20:49 PM »
Bought this mudguard a while ago now but haven't done much with it until today.

Came like this, I had a small play with it seeing how bad the rust was on the underside as you can see.

So today I finally took some time to remove the rust underneath, came out like this

Tomorrow I'll prep it and cover the underside with some zinc paint, I'll block the tunnel at the base and fill it will zinc paint so that gets protected as well.

After that I don't know what i'll do with it, might sell it, might keep it for one of my 500s although I still have a NOS rear guard but it's the 3 hole type not the 4 hole like this one.

I think it came out rather well.
Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Restoring a 500 back mudguard
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 09:53:07 PM »
You could also.or instead coat with
Waxol.
It will cover and protect

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
+1 for the waxoyl

Another tip I picked up is to pack any gaps/recesses etc. with grease and then spray over with Waxoyl.
Peter
1944 42WLA
1972 CB750K2 USA Candy Gold
1972 CB500K2 USA Candy Jet Green
1975 CB400F0 USA Ruby Red
1976 DT175C
1982 RD200F

Online K2-K6

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 10:20:56 PM »
Looks a good result.

I'd do it first with a zinc paint, it acts as a sacrificial anode (so my tame metallurgist tells me)  and then use the other coatings as an additional protection.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1973 CB750 UK K2.1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1978 CB400/4.
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 10:31:09 PM »
Looks a good result.

it acts as a sacrificial anode
Amazing, who would of thought sacrificial anodes would come into the conversation on a bike forum. I was forever fitting new ones to the props on my old sailing boats.......
Going back to the mudguard, I would do what Nigel suggests, looks ok and lasts well.
Im a Nurse, trust me, this won't hurt.....much !!!

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:32:00 PM »
I've always used zinc paint as it does sacrifice itself in order to protect the metal underneath, the mudguard Trig bought off me a few years ago Julie was painted when it was new with zinc paint and it lasted very very well, I tend to pour it into grooves as well to protect inside where you can't really see, I have some Waxoyl around from when I did the car doors, I'll add that on top of the zinc as well, can't hurt.

The chrome itself is in pretty good condition, a few spots but no dents, always wondered why Honda didn't chrome where the guard goes under the seat, skinflints  :D

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 05:39:11 PM »
Ok bit of an update, finished painting the underside with Zinc paint, used a small syringe that came with the dogs medicine and used that to fill in all the voids under the brace, you wouldn't believe how much paint it took to fill them all up, used the same method to fill in the voids where the edges are rolled over. Gave the rest of the underside 2 coats with a small brush, then blocked the bottom of the wire tunnel with masking tape and completely filled it with Zinc paint so everywhere inside was coated, drained off the paint once it was completely full. Then out with the Zinc paint again but this time in a spray can, gave the underside a good heavy coat so that there were no areas left unpainted. Will wait a week now for the paint to completely harden before I paint the small triangular brackets that hold the guard to the back of the frame in satin black and then give the underside a coat of underseal which contains Waxoyl.

This is definitely overkill, however as I explained before, these are getting harder and harder to find in good condition, we need to make sure they last as long as possible, if it looks a bit unsightly it doesn't bother me and mud and such will cover it soon anyway and it's not like it's visible anyway.

Here's how it came out. Brush painted first.

Then spray painted, last picture shows how the seams are completely full of paint.

Offline Laverda120

• SOHC Pro
  • Honda 400/4 F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 02:35:20 PM »
That's never going to rust! Nice job and I agree, these are rare now so best to look after it.