Author Topic: You don't see many UK units in this condition  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: You don't see many UK units in this condition
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 07:54:12 AM »
The parts book say they should be the white type but, i came across two K2's in 1993 that were still boxed in the back of Honda dealers that had black badges and i have a few UK unit with black badges. Most late K2's i have come across have had black badges, most restored ones have had white badges  :o
It is not a 1975 unit, it is a 1974 production K2 but, would of taken 6 to 8 months to arrive in the UK.

I would say from the condition in the pictures that the mileage is about right. If i was closer, i would love to view it and satisfy myself that it is what it is.

As for Ebay, i have bought some cracking bikes. Some that were listed wrong with minimal information, turned out to be still on there original tyres. But, i have also ended up going to view a bike that was that bad, i had to start on the seller who locked himself in his kitchen and would not come out. That bike was never advertised again by that seller and has never been up for sale since.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 08:19:34 AM »
The parts book say they should be the white type but, i came across two K2's in 1993 that were still boxed in the back of Honda dealers that had black badges and i have a few UK unit with black badges. Most late K2's i have come across have had black badges, most restored ones have had white badges  :o
It is not a 1975 unit, it is a 1974 production K2 but, would of taken 6 to 8 months to arrive in the UK.

I would say from the condition in the pictures that the mileage is about right. If i was closer, i would love to view it and satisfy myself that it is what it is.

As for Ebay, i have bought some cracking bikes. Some that were listed wrong with minimal information, turned out to be still on there original tyres. But, i have also ended up going to view a bike that was that bad, i had to start on the seller who locked himself in his kitchen and would not come out. That bike was never advertised again by that seller and has never been up for sale since.
  ;D ;D ;)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 09:09:51 AM »

;D ;D ;)
We went all the way to Gloucester to buy that bike Paul, towing the big box trailer, to say Graham was not amused was an understatement !!!
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »
Black badges on my UK CB750 K2 (late 1973 manufactured)
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 10:01:27 AM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline Mr_Sheene

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 10:54:43 AM »
Thanks for that. Learning all the time. I went from Brentwood to Swansea to buy my bike and I think 'not wasting my time' was one of the reasons that tipped me towards buying it, so I understand Graham's irritation and why the bloke locked himself in the kitchen. If only I'd known what lay ahead! We'll get there in the end but the experience coloured my attitude towards e-bay. It only goes to show that experience outweighs the accepted facts - 'book knowledge'.

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 12:11:22 PM »
But was Candy Ruby Red even an option for the K2? And would it have all black stripes around the gold, or white lining?

(Throws hand grenade and runs away very quickly to lock himself in the kitchen)
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 12:37:00 PM »
But was Candy Ruby Red even an option for the K2? And would it have all black stripes around the gold, or white lining?

No need to hide in the Kitchen Dave, this was how I bought my K2 and it's not the original paint or original colour but the badges are original along.with most of the rest of the bike. When Graham restores it for me, I will have it painted an original color for the model / year and keep the black badges though.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 12:45:52 PM »

No need to hide in the Kitchen Dave, this was how I bought my K2 and it's not the original paint or original colour but the badges are original along.with most of the rest of the bike. When Graham restores it for me, I will have it painted an original color for the model / year and keep the black badges though.
Why is Graham restoring it for you !! ;) Natural progression 400/4 to K2 ;D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 01:43:21 PM »

Because he's a lot better at it than me Paul 😀😀😀 Tbh, I wouldn't mind having a go at the engine, it only needs an overhaul, chains and such like, she runs fine and the bike, other than the color is pretty standard, so no having to source unicorn poo as we normally have to. I will see what happens, I may get more involved in this one as its probably the last CB750 I will buy for myself.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 02:59:50 PM »

Because he's a lot better at it than me Paul 😀😀😀 Tbh, I wouldn't mind having a go at the engine, it only needs an overhaul, chains and such like, she runs fine and the bike, other than the color is pretty standard, so no having to source unicorn poo as we normally have to. I will see what happens, I may get more involved in this one as its probably the last CB750 I will buy for myself.

Wasn't the 400/4 running ok ish  ;) get stuck in he will always be on hand. Sorry Graham ;D ;D
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 03:36:19 PM »

Wasn't the 400/4 running ok ish  ;) get stuck in he will always be on hand. Sorry Graham ;D ;D
Indeed the 400/4 was running just fine, although with that one i knew there was a problem of some sort, that's why i stripped the engine. I can't be that unlucky to have the same experience on the CB750 ......can I  :'( :'( :'(
And yes, Graham would help but, can i really put myself through all that again  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Menno

• SOHC Expert
  • www.tanklackieren.de
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 11:22:08 PM »
Just wondering: if it is the original paint shouldn't the tap on the left sidecover be painted black?

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2018, 11:44:30 PM »
Just wondering: if it is the original paint shouldn't the tap on the left sidecover be painted black?

I have come across may OEM new left side panels without the lower tab painted black. Not sure if this was down to a different supplier to Honda.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal