Author Topic: duff crank  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Andymuck125

• View Profile
duff crank
« on: March 10, 2008, 06:17:07 PM »
ok this is only my second post but its a good one.....

I have a cb750 f1 i bought it a few months back to 'tidy' up and get on the road for the summer. I was told the engine was rebuilt only 2000 miles ago with new bearings rings chains and tensioners which was nice as it started and sounded sweet as a nut with a megaphone exhaust ;D

the only problem was on the way back from the m.o.t station the engine sounded a bit rattly and snatchy. so i pulled the sump off and had a look. the primary chains and tensioner looked like new but the crank sprocket is badly worn and rounded...... typical ::)

my question is this, is it better to look for a second hand crank or is there an alternative like a cb900 longer stroke crank? i read that from satanic mechanic ;D

i was planning to pull the engine appart at the end of the summer to do the usual big bore, head work, cam, carbs etc so it looks like i might be doing it sooner than i had thought

« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 06:32:35 PM by Andymuck125 »

Offline Andymuck125

• View Profile
Re: duff crank
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:53:41 PM »
ok i have mabye sourced a couple of good cranks the next question is, wot sort of power and torque can a standard bottom end take? crank and primary chains?? or is there a way of upgrading it to cope with extra power.  ;D

cheers folks

Offline BassMan_720

• View Profile
    • CB750K2
Re: duff crank
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »
The standard crank of the CB750 SOHC is well over engineered. It can take a good bit of extra power and torque. I played about with my motor back in the early eighties with some significant improvement in power and with metal removed from the crank to reduce rotating mass. I didn't use the tuned motor for long (the bendy frame and 60s brakes were far to scary at speed) but I suspect that the primary chains would have a much reduced life.

Also, if you are looking to top end mods, watch out for weaknesses in the cam drive. Expect to replace chains and tensionner parts regularly.

Steve
CB750K2 1972
Guzzi La Mans II 1980
Rpyan Enfield G 1948

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal