Author Topic: Bike finally arrived!  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Allington (Steve)

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bike finally arrived!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »
"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing..."

FS1E - RD200 - CB500 - Norton Commando - Z900

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 09:52:06 PM »
Rear shocks look too long to be genuine 500 ones, could be early 750s but most likely pattern ones.

That’s my thinking too

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 09:59:19 PM »
Rear shocks look too long to be genuine 500 ones, could be early 750s but most likely pattern ones.

Nothing wrong with good after market shocks, some are better on the road than the OEM ones.
750 ones are basically the same length, just a bigger diameter. 

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 10:06:50 PM »

Nothing wrong with good after market shocks, some are better on the road than the OEM ones.
750 ones are basically the same length, just a bigger diameter.

It was a relief when I looked at it as I thought my legs had shrunk. Definitely over sprung by quite a way.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 09:05:04 AM »
Nice bike you have there, does it run? Don't think I would be taking that apart. A new restoration will look like that again after a few months use. If you were doing a full rebuild and cosmetics you would have been better buying a cheap wreck. I would just change the shocks and get it on the road to be honest. BTW Big garage envy.  :)
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »
Nice bike you have there, does it run? Don't think I would be taking that apart. A new restoration will look like that again after a few months use. If you were doing a full rebuild and cosmetics you would have been better buying a cheap wreck. I would just change the shocks and get it on the road to be honest. BTW Big garage envy.  :)

Thanks 😊. Yes it runs (badly at the moment) but really my wife just bought it for me as a project to keep me busy and give me something to do over the next few months. I wanted a fairly original/complete bike and it’s going to live in the house when it’s finished along with a few others fingers crossed.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 10:48:17 AM »
Nice Bike 8). I wouldn't be taking it apart, get it running and ride it until the weather turns and then do what needs doing.
I think I can see a speck of dust on the workshop floor :o.
Seriously, a great bike and set up you have there.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 10:53:35 AM »
Thats beautiful - my first new Honda Four in 1972

Thank you. It’s the same age and colour as the one I had back in the 70’s too. Just wish it was in the same nick but not too bad for forty odd years later.
Likewise, lovely ogling it from here. My avatar shows mine in Aug 74 when I got it home after I bought it from HGB in Harrow. Unfortunately I got fed up with the colour after a year and had it resprayed blue at work. 44 years later I am looking to get some bits sprayed garnet brown in the next year!
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 11:18:22 AM »
Nice Bike 8). I wouldn't be taking it apart, get it running and ride it until the weather turns and then do what needs doing.
I think I can see a speck of dust on the workshop floor :o.
Seriously, a great bike and set up you have there.

It took me the summer to clear it of cars, tumble drier, crazy carts, old kids bikes and bits of computers so went mad and had it cleaned and painted before the lift arrived. Let’s see how tidy it still is by Christmas  :)

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 11:22:13 AM »

I tend to agree,give it a FULL service,balance carbs,tappets etc ,needless to say filters and oil .

and brake fluid ,

then get a few miles on it ,it will give you a feel of how it is,and what needs to be done
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 11:31:59 AM »

Thank you. It’s the same age and colour as the one I had back in the 70’s too. Just wish it was in the same nick but not too bad for forty odd years later.
Likewise, lovely ogling it from here. My avatar shows mine in Aug 74 when I got it home after I bought it from HGB in Harrow. Unfortunately I got fed up with the colour after a year and had it resprayed blue at work. 44 years later I am looking to get some bits sprayed garnet brown in the next year!

Back then my one was a couple of hundred mile bike which had been bought new by an old guy who didn’t get along with it and sold it straight back to the dealer. I had taken my RD200 in for a service and saw it, sat on it and then px’ed the Yamaha for it the same day. It was a huge mistake as I missed the RD as soon as I swapped the keys at the counter and realised I should have kept the RD as well. To compound the issue brought about by impulses of youth I rode the Honda for a few months and chopped it in against the then new out Z900 at Daytona in Ruislip and on the ride home again realised I had made a mistake and it sank in that I was going to miss the Honda. The combination of missing the RD and desire to have the Kawasaki really over shadowed what a good bike the 500 was until it was gone.

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 11:42:12 AM »
Nice bike you have there, does it run? Don't think I would be taking that apart. A new restoration will look like that again after a few months use. If you weure doing a full rebuild and cosmetics you would have been better buying a cheap wreck. I would just change the shocks and get it on the road to be honest. BTW Big garage envy.  :)

I tend to agree,give it a FULL service,balance carbs,tappets etc ,needless to say filters and oil .

and brake fluid

then get a few miles on it ,it will give you a feel of how it is,and what needs to be done

This one is strictly an ornament but I did ride it around the drive a few times yesterday and apart from the pogo stick shocks it was almost the 70’s again for a moment :)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »
Nice bike you have there, does it run? Don't think I would be taking that apart. A new restoration will look like that again after a few months use. If you weure doing a full rebuild and cosmetics you would have been better buying a cheap wreck. I would just change the shocks and get it on the road to be honest. BTW Big garage envy.  :)

and brake fluid

This one is strictly an ornament but I did ride it around the drive a few times yesterday and apart from the pogo stick shocks it was almost the 70’s again for a moment :)

You would have been better off buying a pot horse then. If you wanted a 70s ornament. A lot less bother.

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2018, 03:48:33 PM »

Back then my one was a couple of hundred mile bike which had been bought new by an old guy who didn’t get along with it and sold it straight back to the dealer. I had taken my RD200 in for a service and saw it, sat on it and then px’ed the Yamaha for it the same day. It was a huge mistake as I missed the RD as soon as I swapped the keys at the counter and realised I should have kept the RD as well. To compound the issue brought about by impulses of youth I rode the Honda for a few months and chopped it in against the then new out Z900 at Daytona in Ruislip and on the ride home again realised I had made a mistake and it sank in that I was going to miss the Honda. The combination of missing the RD and desire to have the Kawasaki really over shadowed what a good bike the 500 was until it was gone.
Kept the 500 for 2.5 years (an eternity then) and then swapped it for Z650 also from Daytona. 900 too tall for me! Never looked back on any of my bikes. Only got into 500s again as it was probably the best all rounder and fairly easy to manage for an old'n.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2018, 04:05:51 PM »

Kept the 500 for 2.5 years (an eternity then) and then swapped it for Z650 also from Daytona. 900 too tall for me! Never looked back on any of my bikes. Only got into 500s again as it was probably the best all rounder and fairly easy to manage for an old'n.

The 900 was too tall for me too actually. A few years later I briefly had a Z1300 when a mate needed the money and that was even taller and about twice the weight too. That didn’t get ridden very much.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal