Author Topic: Bidding wars on Ebay when there are days left to run. why?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline SteveW

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Bidding wars on Ebay when there are days left to run. why?
« on: October 06, 2018, 04:51:58 PM »
Been watching a few bikes on Ebay over the past few months.

Can't understand why people are having bidding wars when there are days and days to go before the auction ends.

All it does is push the price up, great for the seller but not the bidders.

One I was watching recently, 6 days to go, 2 people out bidding each other, whats the point?

Am I missing something?
1974 CB550 K0
1980 CB650
2000 CBR929RR Fireblade
1966 Lambretta LI150 Series 3
1981 RD350LC
1972 Raleigh Chopper
1974 Raleigh Tomahawk
2011 Henry Hoover

Offline Skunky

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Bidding wars on Ebay when there are days left to run. why?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:05:44 PM »
Been watching a few bikes on Ebay over the past few months.

Can't understand why people are having bidding wars when there are days and days to go before the auction ends.

All it does is push the price up, great for the seller but not the bidders.

One I was watching recently, 6 days to go, 2 people out bidding each other, whats the point?

Am I missing something?

No you're not. Stops you getting in with that last 10 second bid. I think what can happen is someone bids big early and then people start fishing to see how high they went. Obviously not poker players. Keep the cards close to the chest and Slam them down. I bid 10 seconds to early on my CB400 exhausts and it cost me £60 extra. :'(
Honda CB400F USA
Triumph Thruxton 900
BMW K100 Custom Buils

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 05:37:02 PM »
Also depends on the type of auction. Quite often, if it’s a reserve type auction you end up with a few bidders trying to establish what the reserve is (in advance of the last minute flurry)..

Offline Piki

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 06:02:58 PM »
or seller friends to rise up the price ;D

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 08:27:07 PM »
Depends, if it something I really want, I sometimes bung a high bid on early, put other bidders off, especially if there is something else tempting ending sooner, say there is a bike on there at £200, I know it will easily fetch £800, I would easily pay that but another bike ends 3 days sooner, similar money, I may decide to go the full £800 on bike 1, if the bidding gets too strong on that right away I can go look at that one ending sooner, try to my max on that and still have time to go for the first bike again, at least I know it's going to be stong money and can have time to move savings around to make sure cash is right where I need it. Normally I wait til the final few seconds, but at times it's worth going in strong, putting off bargin hunters early on, they can get carried away and run it way past a bargin.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 09:22:03 AM »
Odd bidding behaviour, especially from accounts with little or no feedback, usually indicate dodgy dealings. In my experience anyway.

Someone wants to get the price up when bids were slow.

Sadly e-bay does nothing to clamp down on a lot of stuff. As an example, I bid on a load of stuff from one seller all on 99p  initial bids. No other bids came in...and all of the items were pulled 5 minutes before the end..  and relisted the next day. The seller claimed 'a mistake'.. The relisted items then all got bid on by one other account.. and sold. Guess what...every part was back up for sale the next week......

It's a good place to find stuff....but there are sharks swimming in those waters too.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 09:37:10 AM »
You can't end a listing with 5 minutes to go, 12 hours to go is the last point you can take it off, after that it's there till the end.

If i sell on ebay its via Classified Ads, a lot safer for high value items, if it doesn't sell then you know you've priced it too high.
1971 cb750 K1

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 10:06:18 AM »
Odd bidding behaviour, especially from accounts with little or no feedback, usually indicate dodgy dealings. In my experience anyway.

Someone wants to get the price up when bids were slow.

Sadly e-bay does nothing to clamp down on a lot of stuff. As an example, I bid on a load of stuff from one seller all on 99p  initial bids. No other bids came in...and all of the items were pulled 5 minutes before the end..  and relisted the next day. The seller claimed 'a mistake'.. The relisted items then all got bid on by one other account.. and sold. Guess what...every part was back up for sale the next week......

It's a good place to find stuff....but there are sharks swimming in those waters too.
  Did you complain to e bay about the items being pulled? As I understand it, reading through the rules, once an item has a bid, it cannot be withdrawn, UNLESS they can prove the item(s) have been damaged/stolen. Same applies when placing a bid, it is a legally binding contract, and is enforceable through the courts. If they don't like the fact it hasn't reached enough, they should put a higher starting bid or a reserve on it.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 11:52:07 AM »
My mate sold his homing pigeons on ebay.

Again.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 11:54:52 AM »

Again.
Old joke! Only because live animals are not allowed to be sold on e bay!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Allington (Steve)

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 12:03:42 PM »
Too much nowadays on eBay = shenanigans
"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing..."

FS1E - RD200 - CB500 - Norton Commando - Z900

Offline Skunky

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 07:44:20 AM »
My mate sold his boomerang on EBay....that never came back. ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:47:53 AM by Skunky »
Honda CB400F USA
Triumph Thruxton 900
BMW K100 Custom Buils

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 02:21:47 PM »

Again.
Old joke! Only because live animals are not allowed to be sold on e bay!

Did you see the guy who sold his girlfriend on eBay? Got over £70k bid!

It's given me an idea.... 😆
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 03:03:18 PM »
A while back I bid on a cheap Jaguar with ages to run, only to see if I hit the reserve yet, which I did....

No worries, as the last one I'd bid on went up £800 in the last few seconds.

A couple of hours later, I, the wife, and the vendor, were all very surprised to find that I'd just bought it! The vendor was horrified as he'd set a very low reserve to keep the costs down, but he went through with the sale. I was shocked as I'd just done something I said I'd never do - bid on a car hundreds of miles away without even looking at it. In the end it turned out to be a nice ex lease car with a good history and brand new wheels and tyres. My mate took me down to Bristol, I had the cash in an envelope in my pocket, but he had strict instructions to floor it and get us out of there at the slightest hint I wasn't 100% happy, feedback be damned.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 08:16:42 AM »
There will always be sellers who get up to shinanigans, getting a mate to run the bidding up etc, the thing as a buyer is to set a price in mind as a max and if these shinanigans are going on , the mate who runs up the bidding will end up 'buying' the item if they run it high, then eBay will be charging final value fees or black marking the non payer, you can get a black mark 3 times then ebay close your account. My bottom line with eBay and expensive stuff is that it has to either be hard to get elsewhere or a bargin. Overall I have had a lot of bargains off there, and a few absolute lemons. - overall I think I've made more selling stuff that would otherwise have been chucked to cover any Lemmon purchases, and for every bad buy I have made there have been a few steals, just look very carefully at feedback before putting big bids.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal