Author Topic: Down Under 1975 CB400F Restoration Project  (Read 3006 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Down Under 1975 CB400F Restoration Project
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2019, 11:41:15 AM »
If that is by the sidestand lug seems to be cropping up regularly on the 400, must be a stress point

I guess so!  My frame is sound, but my side stand got very loose after the outer tang that contacts the frame lug got bent - it "flexes" upwards, so the bike leans over more than it should.  I don't know if it was just from regular use, or abuse.

I've seen people reposition a bike using either a center or a side stand by standing hard on the stand's foot and tipping the bike toward them until the weight is off the wheels, then pivoting the bike in place while it's balanced on the single point.  I can almost see the center stand managing that, but it just seems foolish to subject the side stand to the bike's full weight.  Is this something that a lot of owners do?

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 11:54:16 AM »
I never do that with my bikes but I know a lot of dealers/mechanics do it with bikes that don't have a centre stand. 😣

I think the corrosion problem with the frame rail on the left hand side may happen when a wet bike is parked on the side stand. Any moisture on or inside the frame will work it's way down to the lowest point, right where the side stand is mounted.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 07:41:15 AM »
When I bought my first Triumph Sprint 955 (Tornado Red ), the dealer had to move a Yamaha XT and did it that way.

The side stand promptly snapped in half.

While I was out on a test ride, he removed the stand, went next door to his mate in the metalwork unit, had it welded up, sprayed and back on the bike.

I’ve seen main dealers do it too but I’d never push a bike around like they do. I wonder if they ever drop them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 07:50:45 AM »
Yup, my boss totalled a BM whilst on roadtest from new frame, another local dealer totalled an X7 Suzi on PDI roadtest!
But if you mean drop them sideways in the shop Yup that too!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal