Author Topic: CB400 Four special (Mr Sinx II )  (Read 8091 times)

Offline Northy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: CB400 Four special (Mr Sinx II )
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2019, 06:34:15 PM »
So decide to prep both tanks ......

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

However the red tank got put to one side, for another day, as still has imperfections in it.   

In the warm and whilst doing white I started on the cockpit faring , problem being the red paint was reacting with white primer

So had rub that all the way back ....time consuming task.

BUT least i've got the correct date on my camera now ;-) ... for this picture away

Some  other bits done

Sorted out the mounting for fairing and a new 7  inch headlight

Finally got my mate to turn down the wheel spacer to 19 mm  for the rear wheel spindle and fit wheel, chain and stuff to the rear end.

Might get around putting oil in engine and turning it over ....but that means sorting out the wiring out and clocks  opps

Next fun headache is the seat. I was after a giuliari style sloped seat like on the 750,but none for 400/4 and the chinese specials are too short. So back to the drawing board and a 2/4 seat as originally fitted to Mr Snix has been purchased and will be modified 

Sowing machine out !!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 06:37:20 PM by Northy »
How many is too many bikes ..... when you have no space left.

Offline Northy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 09:38:07 PM »
Ok the clocks are done .....umm not really can you spot the error.

They had already been pulled apart so the crimped ring is not a nice as finish as I would like .

Next the wallet took a pounding and new Delkevic system was purchase. They don't list the full system anymore as the bracket for the silencer only fits the F1 models , I wasn't worried as was going to make a stainless one up anyway. So after some discussion managed to purchase a complete one. Its fits easily enough and there are no silly collets to mess about with. Its close fit but it nicely tucked away, very pleased with it.

Finally the bike is off the wooden bench and can be wheeled around .....ready for a engine start !  ???

Oh hell this is the real scary stuff now  ie  adding battery !  plugs out turn it over to check  oil pressure , do I have spark  ?  adding petrol to the carbs (of course they will flood) ...pressing the button .

And yes it does lean over a bit as it been jacked up a bit by a inch (my fat a**e will sort that out )

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:39:17 PM by Northy »

Offline Northy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2019, 05:56:01 PM »
Well the dreaded "will it go" time had arrived , time to wheel it outside for the first time.

Firstly for some reason the neutral light switch decided not to work. The carbs didn't flood and it turned over (while the clutch was pulled in) ..time to put the plugs back in and hope

It lives ...phew  !! ;D ;D ;D  couldn't post video up as it was too large

The carbs are way out but that can be sorted out later, lots of sucking !! no oil leaks , exhaust is a tad loud. Neutral light switch  has since decided to work and its running a bit rich. I have gears too which is a bonus  :)

So all good, still lots to sort out

Still can't find a front mudguard in the style I want , think Rd125lc  but wider  :-\   

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 05:58:22 PM by Northy »

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2019, 08:23:03 PM »
Gauge mounting bracket upside down or in plain English arse about face.

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2019, 08:58:08 PM »
Well the dreaded "will it go" time had arrived , time to wheel it outside for the first time.

Firstly for some reason the neutral light switch decided not to work. The carbs didn't flood and it turned over (while the clutch was pulled in) ..time to put the plugs back in and hope

(Attachment Link)

It lives ...phew  !! ;D ;D ;D  couldn't post video up as it was too large

The carbs are way out but that can be sorted out later, lots of sucking !! no oil leaks , exhaust is a tad loud. Neutral light switch  has since decided to work and its running a bit rich. I have gears too which is a bonus  :)

So all good, still lots to sort out

Still can't find a front mudguard in the style I want , think Rd125lc  but wider  :-\

Your bike looks great I think alloy wheels on a 400/4 are so much better looking than wheels with spokes. I use a single a stay North American F2 chrome front mudguard with my alloy wheel looks so much better than the Euro guard in my opinion you have a harder choice to fit in with custom style...good work.....Cheers Dave

Offline Northy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2019, 03:16:10 PM »
With the engine running , time to press on with other things . Footpeg and linkages still some tweaking required but not too cluttered

Time  to look my rear end  ::) :o  and seating ,  would have liked the Cb750  style seat but  gave up  and gone back to the 1980  design of a 2/4  seat, cb900 tail fairing  and set of tractor trailer lights

Well in my draws there was a one of these, a spare from many years ago (PS my Dad was agricultural engineer ,hence the tractor bit and frame in massey ferguson red at one point ) 

Alas only one , so I will moving to LED on the rear .....modernising it 

However  can't remember if I secured the taillight to seat or the bashed up rear mudguard ...having to start from scratch here then.

So take one Cb900 tail  and cut it up  and mount  to 2:4  seat

Its don't fit right .....Arh knew this was the case ,so off with the cover and time to adjust the seat. So I've wrecked a Cb900  tail unit  and now a 2:4  seat, needs must 

Offline Northy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2019, 03:37:29 PM »
So with the seat cover off , it revealed its was made in 1981  :)

After a bit of cutting and adding new foam etc  we get to this stage, with  the sockingette holding the foam in place for the time being

Next to the rear mudguard. Many years ago i remember  bashing one out of bit of galvanised tin , brazing up brackets to it a covering the thing with filler and black paint, just to make it look better ..In truth it was mess had extra holes in it were I cocked to the measurements etc .

So  Despite measuring and checking there comes a time when you have start bending metal , this was a bit of Stainless steel plate which was on thick size , photo is the not the finished article but you get the idea.

Then you fit all together and find this ...

Someone previously had re-welding the seat hinge bolts in the wrong place.

So awaiting some LED lights , seat vinyl/fabric  and thinking of way of attaching all it together. 

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 03:39:26 PM by Northy »

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »
Modify the hinge bracket or make a new one to move the seat back and line up with the seatlock.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Northy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2019, 05:15:27 PM »
Already sorted the seat out , ground off bolts and added new ones in the right place. :) ;)

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2019, 07:02:45 PM »
What a terrific bike this is becoming 👍
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Northy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 02:00:01 PM »
The seat and tail unit proved to right faff , its appears that my 2/4  seat doesn't sit square on the bike (yes messed around with the hing holes etc )   and on checking  my other 400/4  same issue but not as bad. [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

All pissed to one side arrrrggh

Any back to sowing again .....the 2:4 seat laid bare [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Managed to sow the thing up OK so the  fits first time but brought enough material to have a second attempt.

And finally my rear end   :o :o :o

The decals are painted on and the sodding things "leached"??   when I added the lacquer on. There will be logo on the top  of the tail unit when i get around to that

Last piccy shows how well the exhaust is tucked in . Its not pissed just the camera angle .....its all rubber mounted and moves all over the place though (DOH) 

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:36:02 PM by Northy »

Offline Northy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2019, 02:19:51 PM »
So enough of my rear !!  whats happening up front

Well having painted the cockpit fairing (old fibreglass and paint is right PITA ) decided to have a brand new mudguard and arriving soon . I finally settled on something that looks oK but not ideal.

The view inside

Yes the bars are bit red , the faring is set up so a set of ace bars can be fitted. 

The outside view

No decals on the fairing as I couldn't decide how it should look so its just plain at present. On full lock loads of clearance between the fairing and tank

All the electrics work , some tiding up required though.

So just tank to finish , mudguard to fit (need make up fork brace) .......then need check every nut & bolt again.     

I suspect I will used spare tank to give it run up the road this week (oh err that will interesting )  8) ::)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:16:36 PM by SteveD CB500K0 »

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2019, 03:14:03 PM »
Coming on Northy  :)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2019, 08:57:03 PM »
Looking classy, not far to go now and just in time for some sunshine 8).
Rupert Paul did a feature in Classic Bike a few months ago detailing how to make a front mudguard mount, the type using round bar as used by all the specials builders. He made his for the Royal Enfield he's currently building, the finished part looked fantastic.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline pistonbroke 66

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2019, 03:28:40 PM »
This project is a credit to you mate