Author Topic: Bike Security  (Read 1265 times)

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Bike Security
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 07:22:16 AM »
WWWWAAAAHHHHH!  :o Mine is £1050 TPFT! I'm 61, clean licence not made a claim 30 years! Alas, I live in Shadwell east London, part of what the insurance world do or did call the 'Bermuda triangle' ....because so much goes missing.
That makes me laugh! I Used to live/work in London and sometimes we’d go drinking in east end. To get to and fro from where  I lived in Putney I’d have to change at Shadwell from overground to DLR and vice versa. Due to the areas’ reputation we used to call it “doing the Shadwell Shuffle”. I survived though.
In my sleepy hamlet I pay around £200 for 6 bikes fully comp. don’t know why you’d want to live in the smoke?
Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 08:35:52 AM »
Hey Peter...did you harden your heart between the stations? Some of the numerous beggars are asking people for £2.00 now! I live about 300 yards from the interchange.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 08:22:23 PM »
Yep..I pay £500 fully comp on my Hornet 900 in Enfield. No garage, which a lot of ionsurance companies just won't touch now.

Ground anchor, Oxford Monster, plus the stock immobiliser. If I am going away...the Abus Granite U-Lock goes on the front too. And a disc lock on the rear.

Out and about, I use the disc lock on the back ( not the front.... ) and the Abus on the front....or to attach it to something if I am able to find something.

No device will prevent theft if someone really wants to take your bike. The idea is to make it as awkward as possible and let the thief go find an easier target instead.

I am currently planningf the most sensible precaution possible for when the F2 is road ready. Moving. To a house with a garage.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 10:51:14 PM »
I am currently planningf the most sensible precaution possible for when the F2 is road ready. Moving. To a house with a garage.
Somebody told me the real quarry is scooters, and that I had not much to worry about.  Not much is plenty enough....but are scooters the main quarry, is it because they are the most numerous two wheelers?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 09:33:02 AM »
Scooters are the main target for the opportunists and gangs, but insurance companies still put up our prices too.
In the main, scooters are easy to ride and used by delivery companies by the hundred. Easy to shift on.
We are more likely to be the target of professional thieves stealing to order.
Trackers can be used to 'find' your bike. See a target vehicle unattended..and plant a tracker. Then just wait to see where it spends the nights. Then go tooled up to lift it. A guide I know lost his CBR600RR that way.

We may not be target number 1....but I still do everything I can to make the scumbags pick someone else. I buy less popular machines and don't skimp on security
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal