Author Topic: Electrical wizard needed  (Read 1831 times)

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Electrical wizard needed
« on: October 11, 2018, 03:20:09 PM »
I've been cleaning up my electrics as in pic 1 , cleaned up the regulator and put all back, replaced fuse box assembly no problem....I'm having trouble with the new starter solenoid though. The new one in pic 2 from DSS goes in at a different angle and that threw my memory out as to what goes where. The cable I've arrowed has a loose other end too just now, I can't think where it goes ( Battery positive?? ) . :-\
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:24:24 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical wizard needed
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 03:27:11 PM »
Is that the same cable as the red labled in the upper right of the pic?
Battery + terminal?

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 03:42:48 PM »
Is that the same cable as the red labled in the upper right of the pic?
Battery + terminal?
The red one in the upper right pic2 is the same red one attached to solenoid in right side of solenoid in pic1 ...
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 03:45:19 PM »
The starter solenoid has 2 large terminals, usually threaded stubs with nuts that wind down, and 2 small terminals/connections.
One of the large terminals should be connected to battery positive as you mentioned. The other large terminal should be connected to the heavy cable that disappears into the side cover/crankcase area that leads to the starter itself. The other 2 smaller terminals are from the starter button and clutch switch and from memory are colour coded so should be easy to identify.
Hope that helps.
Peter

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »
Just studied your photo 2 more closely. Why have you got 3 leads loose? Something wrong there.
Edit
It looks like the one with the rubber boot at the end (the one not arrowed) is the starter cable. The other one? I can't tell, Possibly an earth strap. Been a long time since I've looked under that cover.
Peter
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 03:51:51 PM by petermigreen »

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 03:53:38 PM »
Just studied your photo 2 more closely. Why have you got 3 leads loose? Something wrong there.
Edit
It looks like the one with the rubber boot at the end (the one not arrowed) is the starter cable. The other one? I can't tell, Possibly an earth strap. Been a long time since I've looked under that cover.
Peter
Difficult to be sure from the photo, but the battery positive cable may have slipped down and both ends are in the electrics area.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 03:55:41 PM »
I think if you study picture 2 you can see the battery positive in top right with a red heat shrink around the end of the cable by the terminal. I see what you're saying but depends on whether Athame57 can confirm if he disconnected both ends of batt +

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 03:56:13 PM »
If you think of the main lead as one continuous from battery to starter motor,  then the solenoid just interrupts this route to enable you to switch it on and off.

So it'll go, ( batt+, solenoid,  then other side of solenoid,  starter motor+) the smaller solenoid wires just pull the switching in and out on command of starter button.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
I think if you study picture 2 you can see the battery positive in top right with a red heat shrink around the end of the cable by the terminal. I see what you're saying but depends on whether Athame57 can confirm if he disconnected both ends of batt +
Since he replaced the solenoid I would hope he disconnected the battery!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »
Difficult to be sure from the photo, but the battery positive cable may have slipped down and both ends are in the electrics area.
[/quote]
No...
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 04:48:25 PM »
As I've had the regulator off it couldn't be that one of them goes to that? I don't understand about the two small terminals mentioned by Petermigreen earlier..
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 05:05:07 PM »
If you think of the main lead as one continuous from battery to starter motor,  then the solenoid just interrupts this route to enable you to switch it on and off.

So it'll go, ( batt+, solenoid,  then other side of solenoid,  starter motor+) the smaller solenoid wires just pull the switching in and out on command of starter button.
Excellent description, just start connecting them from the startermotor up and all goes well!

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 05:16:04 PM »
I've still got three cable ends and I don't know which goes where though.... is it possible one of the solenoid terminals had two cables go to it?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:28:21 PM by Athame57 »
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 05:32:53 PM »
That one, bottom left, that you've arrowed,  check the other end of that as it could be the battery earth strap.

Is the battery earth strap otherwise accounted for? Or is this it?

It looks like it's not got an insulating cover on the wire? In which way an earth is configured.  All positive (they are unused and direct to battery) should have the ends shielded to prevent anything loose touching them, resulting in melting stuff.

Online Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 05:46:10 PM »
That one, bottom left, that you've arrowed,  check the other end of that as it could be the battery earth strap.
Yes...that goes to the battery...
I think I'd better wheel her up the road to the bike shop in the morning?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal