Author Topic: Fitting Tyres  (Read 630 times)

Offline llessur

• Honda 400/4
    • View Profile
Fitting Tyres
« on: October 11, 2018, 03:26:00 PM »
The topic of tyres has been discussed so many times I am surprised it has not broken the forum Search facility. It always seems to boil down to an individuals tyre preference or price.
Well my question is somewhat different. I am that stubborn sort that is never willing to pay others to do a task if I can or can learn to do it myself. In this case though, I possibly have not perfected the art of tyre fitment. Over the last couple of years I must have fitted tyres about 20 times, though I must admit on some wheels I have had to do it 3 times as each time I have nipped the tube. I have watched the YouTube how to videos and now adopt a procedure of
1.Warm the tyre
2. smear the rim with swarfega
3.fit the tyre over one side of the  rim ( usually do this with my feet, no tyre levers)
4. pop the tube in and secure the valve
5. I then stand on the other side of the tyre to get it in the rim well whilst I try to knock the rest of the tyre with a rubber mallet, but always end up using tyre levers for the final bit.
I have tried with a little air in the tube, no air in the tube, rolling the totally deflated tube into the other side of the tyre all to no avail.

One thing I did wonder is I always buy Dunlop K82 ( TT100 style pattern) and I wondered if the walls on these are too stiff for the likes of me.
I tell you what I did discover is that don't buy cheap rims as they rust where the tyre levers (metal ) have been used, so I only use DID rims now as the chroming seems harder.
Sorry for waffling on, but can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom to how I can be more successful or an alternative tyre with softer walls as I used to change tyres with my mums spoons years back.
Oh and you should have seen the look on the faces at the local motorcycle shops when I have asked for puncture repair kits " We only sell tubes Sir"
All help appreciated ( please don't tell me to go to Kwik Fit though )
Russell

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting Tyres
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:03:08 PM »
I do all my own tyres and usually with success.
Always use good heavy duty tyre levers like these - https://www.frost.co.uk/tyre-levers-pair.html
Always use tyre soap with a brush.
And the best tool in the box is one of these - https://www.bikerstoolbox.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=tube%20valve&PN=Wheels_and_Drive_Chains%2ehtml#aBI_2dVLVPUL
Inner tube valve puller invaluable for getting the valve through the pesky hole which the tyre rim always prevents you from locating.
I get one side rim on spin it over and work the other side making sure it's well lubed at all times.
As you work the rim around it of course gets tighter and tighter. On particularly tough ones I get Mrs Green to stand on one side while I work towards her on the other until it finally pops in.
Inflate with compressor and slightly over pressure to help pop the rim on and then deflate as required.
I don't know why anyone pays for someone else to do it.
Peter

Online robvangulik

• SOHC Member
  • Honda Fourever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 04:31:38 PM »
Swarfega is soap? Never use soap, thát makes your rim rust, always use special tyre grease or tyresoap, available at any tyrecentre and carshop. It's cheap, and I use the same pot since the stone age.
Use pieces of garden hose, slit lengthwise, to protect your rim.
1. warm may be easier, never do it myself.
2. also grease the tyre edge, not only the rim.
3 and 4. okay, i always put (some) air in the tube, to keep it far from the edges.
5.using levers is good, use long ones, ( it is like hammers, it's better to hit softly with a big hammer than hard with a small one,) be smart and lube them too.
And puncture repair kits are cheapest at most bicycleshops....
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:40:21 PM by robvangulik »

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:06:49 PM »
Many years ago I pinched a tube using tyre levers to put a tyre back on after a puncture so I determined not to use them in future. I fit tyres using my hands and heels, I also hate getting other people to do jobs that I am capable of doing.
Put one side of the tyre on the wheel rim.
Smear some washing up liquid on the tyre rim that is not fitted
Take the valve out of the inner tube
Place the inner tube in the tyre and fit the valve through the hole
Pump up the inner tube to inflate it inside the tyre, air can escape when you fit the tyre as the valve is out.
Start putting the tyre on the rim starting at the valve (both sides) using hand pressure.
The above used to be easy on an old style round bin.
Then put the wheel on the floor and "heel" the last section on.
Bounce the wheel until the beads are even, pressure the tyre as needed to do this.

Works for me, probably not for everyone though

Cheers

Dennis
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 07:08:41 PM by Spitfire »
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 08:07:56 PM »
Use short levers if you can’t manage with them something is wrong. Once the tyre is on push the valve with the nut on the last thread back into the tyre to ensure the tyre is seated  correctly before inflation.8

Offline llessur

• Honda 400/4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 10:45:02 PM »
Thank you all for the advice I will be  giving it ago this weekend. I am treating myself to some proper tyre lubricant and love the idea of getting the wife to stand on the tyre to keep it in the well of the rim so I can work on the opposing side.
Thanks again

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal