Author Topic: Clutch Cover ...to paint or to polish?  (Read 608 times)

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
Clutch Cover ...to paint or to polish?
« on: October 13, 2018, 11:16:47 PM »
The paint on this casing  on my F2 is looking really dull as it is everywhere else. I seem to see different approaches to this casing on internett images and even the cover of the Haynes manual. Should this item be polished as opposed to painted, does it respond especially well?
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Cover ...to paint or to polish?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 08:52:39 AM »
I would say do whatever you like the most...don’t worry about being “correct” theres plenty of anorak bikes out there anyway... when i re-finished my engine i wanted to try and keep it std looking and in keeping with its age .....so i gave it a brushed look an then lacquered it. But now i wish i had polished it a liitle bit more...

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 08:57:07 AM »
I believe that originally they had a thin silver base coat applied followed by lacquer but as we know to our cost, this finish was less than durable in our climate.  The same finish was applied to lots of stuff on our bikes and if we used them in all weathers it did not last very long.  My own preference is to strip this finish and hand polish the part.  The purists might complain but even after 15 years my covers and other parts only need a quick rub with solvol to bring them back to as they were when I did them.  So yes, they do respond to polishing but again, speaking personally, I don’t machine polish.

This is a quick shot of the 400/4 and my avatar is the 350/4 I’ve had since about 2002.

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stories/Bikes/Japanese/400%20four%20pt5.htm

Ian

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:26:46 AM »
Do which every you are happy with it’s your bike, and if you get fed up with the look it’s not difficult to change it.

Offline H2Eric

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 11:17:17 AM »
To each their own, but if it were me I'd polish it and professionally at that.

Eric

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 11:24:51 AM »
I believe that originally they had a thin silver base coat applied followed by lacquer but as we know to our cost, this finish was less than durable in our climate.  The same finish was applied to lots of stuff on our bikes and if we used them in all weathers it did not last very long.  My own preference is to strip this finish and hand polish the part.  The purists might complain but even after 15 years my covers and other parts only need a quick rub with solvol to bring them back to as they were when I did them.  So yes, they do respond to polishing but again, speaking personally, I don’t machine polish.

This is a quick shot of the 400/4 and my avatar is the 350/4 I’ve had since about 2002.

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stories/Bikes/Japanese/400%20four%20pt5.htm

Ian

Jeez looking at that website you are one talented chap, woodwork and all. Impressed!
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 01:08:00 PM »
Rozabikes - You’re not supposed to be looking at websites, you’re supposed to be working or cutting the grass!  Thanks for the kind words though.

Ian

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »
Yes Ian

Well I'm sure you have no time to mow lawns!!

Did you finish the CBX a la "Elvis"?

Tim
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 06:10:11 PM »
We’re a long way off topic now Rozabikes but by a very strange coincidence I put back the cutter deck on the big mower just this morning after sharpening both blades and repainting the inside - then cut the small grass by the house (there is about one and a half acres to mow in total but the big bit can wait). The cows come running to the fence to get a free feed as soon as I start the engine.
Nearer topic, I collected virtually all of the correct bits for the CBX and then we moved here to Orkney so I sold it to a good mate who restored it to a very high standard before we left - kept the ex Mike Hailwood damaged CBX tank though.  Still ended up with too many toys here though - 70 next year so I might part with some of them.

Ian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal