Author Topic: Any other ex dispatch riders among us?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
Re: Any other ex dispatch riders among us?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 08:13:47 PM »
Back in 1983 I worked in London for West 1 in Newman St, then for Walker Dispatch in Tottenham Court Road.   I too was seduced by the high salaries promised by the motorcycle mags.   I didn't make much but it was a good experience all the same.  I only did it for 6 months before my 400 Superdream blew up on the M4 by Chippenham.
Later on I worked out of Cardiff for Cycle Despatch on my GS850 doing country wide jobs.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 10:18:44 PM »

(Attachment Link)

Graham - VT500 - wasn't that mean't to be a move on from the Maggot? Any good, never saw / see many?
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 10:45:57 PM »

(Attachment Link)

Graham - VT500 - wasn't that mean't to be a move on from the Maggot? Any good, never saw / see many?

The VT  was the successor of the CX and had the V twin longitudinal which meant that the rear cylinder overheated, two cam chains and a seat that was like sitting on a razor, compared to the comfy CX which you could rest your arse on all day  ;) 

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 07:03:12 AM »
I think I can beat you youngsters as I was despatch riding just after the Stone Age. I was booted out of Thames Poly (now Greenwich Uni) in 1974 and so like everyone else big wages were the attraction.
I started by using my faithful candy gold CB250K2 and working for some mob in Swiss Cottage. Did that for a few months until I locked up the front wheel in the wet on the Embankment and was on my arse in an instant. Bike was quite damaged so I thought use somebody elses.
So I joined Mercury Despatch thrashing orange Suzuki 250s around the capital. Did that for a few months and just got fed up of all the near misses and not really getting all the money I thought I'd get.
Went off driving van sales for Lyons Cakes after that. Eat loads of just out of date cakes and got fat.

PS After nearly 2 years, I have booked an MoT for the K2 next Thursday. Don't know if it will pass as it is LOUD! I'll let you know.
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
I think I can beat you youngsters as I was despatch riding just after the Stone Age. I was booted out of Thames Poly (now Greenwich Uni) in 1974 and so like everyone else big wages were the attraction.
I started by using my faithful candy gold CB250K2 and working for some mob in Swiss Cottage. Did that for a few months until I locked up the front wheel in the wet on the Embankment and was on my arse in an instant. Bike was quite damaged so I thought use somebody elses.
So I joined Mercury Despatch thrashing orange Suzuki 250s around the capital. Did that for a few months and just got fed up of all the near misses and not really getting all the money I thought I'd get.
Went off driving van sales for Lyons Cakes after that. Eat loads of just out of date cakes and got fat.

PS After nearly 2 years, I have booked an MoT for the K2 next Thursday. Don't know if it will pass as it is LOUD! I'll let you know.

Do you realise that you don't legally require an MOT for vehicles registered before 1978, unless it's for your own peace of mind.

The Swiss Cottage mob, was that Federal Express ?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:07:43 AM by adespin »
1971 cb750 K1

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 10:51:30 AM »

(Attachment Link)

The VT  was the successor of the CX and had the V twin longitudinal which meant that the rear cylinder overheated, two cam chains and a seat that was like sitting on a razor, compared to the comfy CX which you could rest your arse on all day  ;)

Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 11:16:44 AM »
Just wondering!

You started this, so what's your story ??
1971 cb750 K1

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »
On one occasion, I was asked to take a package to Top Shop in Oxford Street.  It was one of those aluminium photographic cases with cosmetics in it.  Anyway, I delivered it and they refused to sign for it.  This was when the IRA were making themselves known so perhaps I can't blame them.
I kinda stiff-armed them into signing for it anyway as I had multiple drops to make and I was parked on double yellows.
About 5:00, I was trying to get home but Wigmore St, Mortimer St etc, were blocked with buses and taxis.  Very odd.
I was watching the six o'clock news and, it seems that a mysterious package was delivered Top Shop and the Bomb Squad was sent for.  Oxford St and Regent St was sealed off while a miniature tank carried out a photographic box and did a controlled explosion on it.
No questions were asked thankfully.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 01:28:41 PM »
On one occasion, I was asked to take a package to Top Shop in Oxford Street.  It was one of those aluminium photographic cases with cosmetics in it.  Anyway, I delivered it and they refused to sign for it.  This was when the IRA were making themselves known so perhaps I can't blame them.
I kinda stiff-armed them into signing for it anyway as I had multiple drops to make and I was parked on double yellows.
About 5:00, I was trying to get home but Wigmore St, Mortimer St etc, were blocked with buses and taxis.  Very odd.
I was watching the six o'clock news and, it seems that a mysterious package was delivered Top Shop and the Bomb Squad was sent for.  Oxford St and Regent St was sealed off while a miniature tank carried out a photographic box and did a controlled explosion on it.
No questions were asked thankfully.

Maybe you should change your name from Mike the Bike to Tom the Bomb ;D
1971 cb750 K1

Offline PHILIP2908

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2018, 07:50:22 AM »
No, this was before Fed Ex even got established here. The Swiss Cottage dispatch company was just a bloke with a 'phone who advertised in the Evening Standard promising good money which turned out to be a load of b****x.

I thought an MoT was a requirement for getting the bike registered here. Am I wrong? Its still on its Colorado plates and was going to insure it for the trip to the tester by using the frame number. Is that they way to do it?
1974 Honda XL250 K0 - Silver - owned for 32 years. Not running at the moment
1972 Honda CB750 K2 - Now candy apple red - Ex USA, a DK special - needs a lot more work than I thought - very quickly becoming a DS special...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2018, 08:28:18 AM »
Yup, but do not take out the insurance till you are ready to go as frame number insurance is time limited.
 It is my understanding that you need the mot for first registration but not afterwards

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2018, 08:42:29 AM »
I checked with James H on this recently and its all changed again quite recently. No MOT or insurance needed for the process of registering an imported bike with DVLA. (I'm assuming that if it's younger than 40 years, you will still need an MOT but not sure on this)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:44:04 AM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2018, 12:04:44 AM »
Just wondering!

You started this, so what's your story ??
OK. I began in 1982 with an awful company called Olympic where I spent more time on the pavement than a pigeon, I moved over to 'Hotline' soon got the sack, then 'Ambassador'  and then 'Delta' where I started to get good. I moved on to a roguish little firm called 'Falcon' great lads (& Lasses') ..oh, forgot my flirtation with 'Professional couriers' and 'Express'....dispatch is a job where you can change horse three times in a day. I also rode with Addison Lee a while and ...gawd there's loads. The best company though was GLC (Greater London Couriers) with their 25% attendance bonus and no advertising their jobs...word of mouth! I rode a gaggle of CB250 RS's one reached 77,000 miles. A CB250 wet dream, a GT380 (got me nicked) A z400J..came off at 70mph and never hurt myself, came off again at about 15 mph and thought I'd bust my leg. I did get a ban for 6 months and knew most of the Police station cells from being arrested non payment of fines lol. I couldn't resist turning up now and then on my RG500s. I quit the job in 1991.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2018, 09:24:29 AM »
WOW !!, you've been around, not many that you hav'nt worked for, what work did you change to?
1971 cb750 K1

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2018, 05:57:48 PM »
WOW !!, you've been around, not many that you hav'nt worked for, what work did you change to?
The maddest thing...Life assurance salesman. FLUNK. I went back to sea while after that.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal