SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

Engine paint reccomendations?

(1/3) > >>

SumpMagnet:
I am looking at a vast array of engine paints and am trying to find one that best reflects the standard F2 black finish on the engine. I like the black engine look with just the clutch outer and ignition covers showing a bit of shiny. I also like the fact it's quite easy to keep clean as long as it's properly keyed to the metal.

Shuddering flashback to jetwashing my old XS1100 1.1S and watching the black engine finish just peel off in big flakes.......

The finish looks to be a sort of semi gloss black. Definitely not matt. Most of the VHT paints I have used before have been matt...and soft as melted butter until you get them hot enough to cure. Which was impossible on a 4-1 exhaust system off the bike using the oven......leading to all sorts of intreresting approaches..or just fitting it and scratching the paint. Either that or brush on Hermetite 'Pot Black' in thick dollops as all we were doing was hiding the rust we had wire brushed off.....

Any suggestions?

Orcade-Ian:
I’ve been using Hammerite Silver Smoothrite spray cans on my engines and other parts for years with good long lasting results.  I know that they do a gloss black which might be a bit too shiny for you.  Might be worth checking if there is a satin black in their range.  As with any paint job, prep is the important bit - after thorough cleaning, I wipe over with panel wipe before painting the separate parts.  I wouldn’t guarantee it would last on complete assemblies where water might creep into gaps between castings and bolt heads though,

Ian

SumpMagnet:
Smooth black Hammerite is my go to paint for frames and such. Provides a good finish and is durable. But it is way too glossy and I have not seen a satin paint.

Orcade-Ian:
As you say, too glossy so if they don’t do a satin, then other than experimenting with ‘dry coats’ over a good gloss, which might be difficult to repeat it’ll have to be summat else.  Is there a satin clear lacquer (Upol?) compatible with the Smoothrite?  Dunno.  My problem is that I like experimenting!

Ian

Woodside:
Satin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version