Author Topic: Engine paint reccomendations?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Engine paint reccomendations?
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »
I am looking at a vast array of engine paints and am trying to find one that best reflects the standard F2 black finish on the engine. I like the black engine look with just the clutch outer and ignition covers showing a bit of shiny. I also like the fact it's quite easy to keep clean as long as it's properly keyed to the metal.

Shuddering flashback to jetwashing my old XS1100 1.1S and watching the black engine finish just peel off in big flakes.......

The finish looks to be a sort of semi gloss black. Definitely not matt. Most of the VHT paints I have used before have been matt...and soft as melted butter until you get them hot enough to cure. Which was impossible on a 4-1 exhaust system off the bike using the oven......leading to all sorts of intreresting approaches..or just fitting it and scratching the paint. Either that or brush on Hermetite 'Pot Black' in thick dollops as all we were doing was hiding the rust we had wire brushed off.....

Any suggestions?
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Engine paint reccomendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
I’ve been using Hammerite Silver Smoothrite spray cans on my engines and other parts for years with good long lasting results.  I know that they do a gloss black which might be a bit too shiny for you.  Might be worth checking if there is a satin black in their range.  As with any paint job, prep is the important bit - after thorough cleaning, I wipe over with panel wipe before painting the separate parts.  I wouldn’t guarantee it would last on complete assemblies where water might creep into gaps between castings and bolt heads though,

Ian

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
Smooth black Hammerite is my go to paint for frames and such. Provides a good finish and is durable. But it is way too glossy and I have not seen a satin paint.
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 05:47:20 PM »
As you say, too glossy so if they don’t do a satin, then other than experimenting with ‘dry coats’ over a good gloss, which might be difficult to repeat it’ll have to be summat else.  Is there a satin clear lacquer (Upol?) compatible with the Smoothrite?  Dunno.  My problem is that I like experimenting!

Ian

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 07:10:06 PM »
Satin

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 09:20:35 PM »
never seen that before.....but I will hunt some down for a number of uses.

One concern though .... how well does it cope with temperature? Especially as I have to do the head, rocker cover and barrels.
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 09:27:28 PM »
Just a suggestion. The Simoniz VHT paint we use for engines says Matt on the tin but in real life comes out in a satin finish with a bit of a shine. SIMVHT20D is the black version of what we use.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 11:31:59 PM »
I am looking to get as close as possible to the stock 750F2 finish and it's not exactly gloss...but it's definitely not matt.

I have found a few sellers of engine enamels etc online, but none of them seem to show examples of hte product...just a picture of the tin. Not really helpful.

I reckon I will have to buy a couple of test cans and see what comes closest. I can spray a small piece..like the sprocket cover...and compare it to existing finish on the camcover/head
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline thescoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 05:18:46 PM »
Just new to the forum. I sourced some engine paint from the states which was a two stage system. I will search my records and see if I can find where I got it from and post asap. It was exceptional and had just the right sheen. I used on one of my café build cx500 motors and everyone commented how good it looked.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline bytio

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2018, 12:27:05 AM »
By far the best finish and one totally solvent resistant is stove enamel satin black
Here is my F2

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2018, 12:37:04 AM »
That finish looks spot on. Where did you get the paint?
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 04:55:33 PM »
POR15 Engine enamel thinned with white spirit and sprayed.

Has resisted petrol and battery acid so far.

Offline bytio

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 06:36:13 PM »
It was stove enamelled so not paint

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal