Author Topic: Soon to be 400F owner  (Read 1747 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Soon to be 400F owner
« on: October 23, 2018, 01:11:53 AM »
Greetings all, from Maine, USA...

In two days, a '77 CB400f (21K miles) arrives at my door - I'm taking custody from a friend who sadly cannot keep it.  I have no experience with this type of bike (and not much with any other type, either!), so I'm hoping to find some useful info to help me along.  I did ride the bike three years ago, and it seemed to run pretty well then, but the bike has been in storage for the previous two years, and I know it wasn't prepped beforehand, so I'm imagining issues with the fuel tank and carbs right off.  I'll basically be moving it right into my own storage for the winter, so I'm looking to help it along with some proper preparation.

I have no print resources to guide me; I did download what Honda manuals I could find, but they're a bit short on details.  I am in the middle of reading through Nurse Julie's engine rebuild thread, and have learned that I probably should be very careful about even trying to turn the engine over after two idle years - although I am told the bike was stored indoors, completely out of the weather.

Advice on what a beginner might do to stabilize and protect it for the winter would be most welcome!

~ Matt

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
Re: Soon to be 400F owner
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »
Welcome Matt,
                               You will find all the help ypu need on here and your forum over in USA
 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php
Good luck with the bike :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:14:55 AM by paul G »
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline zebedee85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 08:41:49 AM »
It depends on how far you want to go, winter is a great time to get the carbs off and send them for cleaning or you can drain them for storage then inspect when the days get longer again. Drain screws can be a pain to remove if they've been sitting though. The inlet manifold rubbers and airbox rubber may well be hardened up, so they might replacing before reassembly if you go the removal route. I have generally found if the bike starts, idles and runs then 500 miles and some Redex fuel additive is a more fun alternative to disassembly of the carbs.

i'd drain the fuel tank before winter too and have a good look at the state of the rust. The manual reckons changing the oil before winter as well.

the electrics might not have benefited much from standing around depending on how it was stored before, so may need some cleaning up (switches, connectors etc), that's a fun winter job along with routine service bits like timing and valve clearances. The battery may well be shot as well though if you have a spare knocking about for testing I'd wait to buy a nice new one in the spring.

I have a CB450 arriving in a few weeks so this will be part of my campaign.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:59:01 AM »
Welcome to the forum and have fun. If you rode it only 3 years ago that’s a big plus.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:43:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

I know someone living in RI who variously takes bikes into and out of winter storage,  along with bikes stored for naval / military personnel while on tour's of duty.  We had a think through specifically about the engine oil during such periods and came up with;-  if the bike's been standing for extended period to heat the motor gently with external fan/electric heater to get it warm,  drain the oil and filter while warm to remove as much as possible.  Then replace both to allow any turnover to be completed on new oil.

If you are not going to run it at all,  the above procedure is still good as any used oil normally contains acids from the byproducts of running on petrol. If this is removed before winter and you don't start it then it offers the best internal protection during the winter.  Just disable the fuel and remove plugs then bring the engine up to oil pressure by turning over to distribute the oil around the engine,  then leave it alone.  After one winter it can then be started on this oil to recomission.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 10:18:30 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, guys!  So there's a "US version" of this forum, too?  I guess I'll investigate there, too!

I suppose the advice I'm looking for applies to any motorcycle, regarding what to do.  I'll apply the usual cautions regarding attempting to turn the engine over, etc.  An oil/filter change, definitely - plain old dino oil for storage oil?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 11:02:13 AM »
Welcome Matt.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Allington (Steve)

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 11:05:57 AM »
Welcome Matt
"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing..."

FS1E - RD200 - CB500 - Norton Commando - Z900

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum Matt.
We have just returned from our holiday in Maine, I'm envious of you, you have some great roads and scenery to ride a 400/4. I think everything has been said in terms of advice, let us know how you get on and please post a photo of the bike.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 07:03:08 PM »
That oil will be fine, their spec is just for mineral oil but with regular changes in general use, it'll not give you problems.

I don't know what others think, but a small amount of synthetic two stroke oil in each bore also (it doesn't appear to go sticky like some alternatives when left) but won't cause you any problems either when recommissioned.

Where are you located in Maine?

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 07:25:08 PM »
Thanks guys and gals!  I'll have a chat tomorrow with the guy who has been keeping the bike for the owner - find out if anything was done before or during storage (although the owner says he was in a "bad place" two years ago, and he just put it on the center stand and walked away from it).  I'm hopeful I'll be able to turn it over easily; a look into the tank and carbs will settle whether I'll try to run it...

I live on the coast of Maine, in Camden, about a four hour drive north of Boston.  I've worked on the water since I moved here in 1990...

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 07:59:16 PM »
Hi Matt and welcome.
I was in Portsmouth in '91 with the British military right after the first gulf war. The locals there gave us a terrific welcome and treated us very well.
Beautiful location and one to which I hope to be able to return one day.
It made me laugh that the locals hated their southern neighbours so much so that they referred to them as 'Massholes!'

Enjoy your new bike and remember "Live Free or Die"
Peter

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 09:10:30 PM »
There are some great pubs in Camden.

Oh, you mean there’s another one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 09:22:54 PM »
I'm only a few miles from Lincoln, even closer to Boston and even closer still to New York........oh, you mean USA not Lincolnshire 😀😀😀
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal