Author Topic: New Knee  (Read 6072 times)

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: New Knee
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »
Thanks for all comments, suggestions etc..
5 weeks this week and I am going well.. there is still some swelling and associated pain but I was expecting that.
I can mostly walk normally again.. no limp... at least until the knee puffs up and the the pain amps up with it.. again.. I believe that is normal as well. Going up stairs is easy.. down stairs I need to concentrate as I am still lacking strength in the surrounding muscles but all in good time :)

As far as which is worse.. hip or knee.. I have only had the knee done but from what I saw in the Rehab Hospital and from talking with friends who have had both.. Hip is a piece of cake.. relatively speaking. I even have one customer who told me the hip pain he has suffered for many years ended when they knocked him out for the operation.. since then he has had no more pain.. certainly some discomfort from the surgery (to be expected) but no more debilitating pain.

I have to say my knee is pretty much the same.. I wouldnt say there is no pain.. but it is different to the pain of a severely damaged and arthritic knee with a badly torn ACL..

Good luck with the Hip replacement.. hoping it is a smooth Operation and rapid recovery :)
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 02:20:19 PM »
Having been involved in well over 3000 hip and knee replacements over the years as either Surgeons Assistant or involved in the patients post op care and rehab, a hip replacement is a lot more straight forward anatomically than a knee replacement and therefore easier to recover from. These days a straight forward hip replacement patients spends as little as 24 hours in hospital, some even less and knee replacement patients 48-72 hours. These times are for patients that are otherwise fit and healthy. One local NHS Trust does hips as a day case.
Now, if it were myself having either procedure done, I would want at least 6 weeks in Hospital of which at least 3 would need to be in intensive care under heavy sedation 😀😀😀
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 03:20:09 PM »
My other half had a total hip in Feb and was in 4 days but every time she stood up her blood pressure dropped like a stone. I am supposedly in for 3 days which is the norm for total hip in this area.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 04:09:42 PM »
Keep doing the exercises, (you will get there ) I was riding a sh300 within 3weeks but that was naughty also don’t judge yourself with others that have same operation , everyone is different but ( you will get there ) , I’ve had two total knee & a hip replaced  I’m back like a 20yr old loving my 750 vfr / 550 /s90 , I also no chick just reaching 75yrs .. oh when your back fit double up on your knee sliders 😀...best of luck , you will get there ......

Was either op worse hip or knee .I am in for total hip  replacement in two weeks.

I had new hip last Xmas,

the exercises after are most important,you will need to get your muscle strength back in your thigh and lower back.

it will take time to be 100%,but the more you work,the better it will be.
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 04:58:38 PM »
Keep doing the exercises, (you will get there ) I was riding a sh300 within 3weeks but that was naughty also don’t judge yourself with others that have same operation , everyone is different but ( you will get there ) , I’ve had two total knee & a hip replaced  I’m back like a 20yr old loving my 750 vfr / 550 /s90 , I also no chick just reaching 75yrs .. oh when your back fit double up on your knee sliders 😀...best of luck , you will get there ......

Was either op worse hip or knee .I am in for total hip  replacement in two weeks.

I had new hip last Xmas,

the exercises after are most important,you will need to get your muscle strength back in your thigh and lower back.

it will take time to be 100%,but the more you work,the better it will be.
Chasing that little white ball around the countryside is what got you fit John  ;D
But, agree, post op recovery is 100% down to the patients exercise regime and own motivation. Surgeons, Doctors and Nurses have done their bit when you are in hospital, all the rest is down to the patient.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »
Scary stuff, but also a bit reassuring, I have two dodgy knees and during the last year my right hip is starting to play up and the thought of giving up cycling or riding my Honda's is quite depressing but this thread has bucked me up no end as well as frightening me to death !!

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »
Don't know if anyone saw it,  but a couple of weeks ago there was a live coverage of knee replacement op broadcast one evening on TV.

Made my eyes water watching it  :o but stuck it out to the end as it was fascinating.  Full of admiration for the surgeon and team carrying out the procedure with the patient sedated but conscious.

Quite impressive engineering of the replacement and came with whole box of sizes and shims to get final joint right before fitting final components.  It's a pretty sturdy joint when fixed,  just the sawing off the original components that really made me wince.

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 01:35:54 PM »
It's just like woodwork Nigel and the instruments are just the same as what's in a Carpenters tool kit and known by the same names, just a lot more expensive and Sterile when in use 😀😀.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 01:41:29 PM »
Bearing in mind my only previous view of leg surgery was "carry on up the something" with Kenneth Williams, I think, sawing someone's leg off while shouting "oh Matron"  while he was cutting through both leg and table. ;D

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 06:38:51 PM »
Don't know if anyone saw it,  but a couple of weeks ago there was a live coverage of knee replacement op broadcast one evening on TV.

Made my eyes water watching it  :o but stuck it out to the end as it was fascinating.  Full of admiration for the surgeon and team carrying out the procedure with the patient sedated but conscious.

Quite impressive engineering of the replacement and came with whole box of sizes and shims to get final joint right before fitting final components.  It's a pretty sturdy joint when fixed,  just the sawing off the original components that really made me wince.

I did some work at the firm in Chapeltown that makes them a few years ago. I should have picked up some spares. There were plenty in the skip that didn't make the grade. Fingers crossed for a good one.  :)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 08:58:55 PM »
@K2-K6 .... that was Carry on Jack where Kenneth Williams had his leg sawn off by Bernard Cribbins.  8)
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 11:07:28 AM »
Hi Andy, just want to say thank you for starting this thread as it has reassured me no end, after a few years of a problem knee and one failed op I go in on Wednesday for a new knee and having read all the comments on here I am a lot happier about it. Take the painkillers and do the exercises seems to be the key !

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2019, 11:40:24 AM »
Thanks Dennis... you will be fine. I am now coming up to 4 months and almost completely off my pain killers.. for me it was a slow process to come off them as I was on a pretty high dose.
I can walk normal and am back better than I have been for many a year. Not saying it is a walk in the park.. as my Surgeon told me.. it will hurt like hell and expect there to be swelling for at least 6 months... and he was right.. but.. I would do it again tomorrow if the other knee gives out.
I lived in pain (severe pain for 18 months) for a long time and now am relatively pain free and can do pretty much anything I want.
The real trick is Physio Therapy.. I went to a rehab hospital for a week or so and that was a godsend in terms of movement etc. If you cant do that.. make sure you find a local Physio you can work with.. do the exercises... but dont fall for the "no pain, no gain" BS.. No point pushing too far ... slow and steady.
Good luck with the surgery.. :) You will be up and about in no time.
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2019, 11:51:30 AM »
Thanks for that Andy, this is a trial run as the other knee is worse that the one they are replacing, very strange but they must know what they are doing. When we lived in Sydney a colleague of mine had both knees done at the same time, brave (or foolish) man.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Online Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2019, 12:35:11 PM »
Good luck Dennis. A mate had both he's knees replaced over a two year period. He was back flying a light aircraft within 6 months. He has no pain at all now.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal