Author Topic: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model  (Read 38222 times)

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
Re: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model
« Reply #360 on: July 02, 2020, 12:22:06 PM »
Finally, the oil pan appears to be cracked (hmm... thumbnail upside down again?):

(Attachment Link)

It’s not, however, in the “usual” spot, around the drain hole.  Plus, no matter how carefully I look, I can’t see any evidence of it on the inside:

(Attachment Link)

Is it possible that there’s some sort of fracture that doesn’t go clear through?

I would get that welded up anyway or bin it and get another.
If that goes while you are riding then its a cert the rear Tyre is going to get a coating of its contents :o
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 02, 2020, 03:09:01 PM »
It could just be a casting flaw

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 02, 2020, 03:30:22 PM »
It could just be a casting flaw

Have you seen this sort of thing before, Bryan?  If the lack of visible cracking inside the pan isn't convincing, would a "gravity" petrol leak test tell you anything?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 02, 2020, 04:02:30 PM »
I see casting marks all the time petrol on inside may show a leak or you could see if anybody local to you in engineering has a dye crack detection kit but if you are real worried can you not get a used one

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 02, 2020, 04:07:59 PM »
I see casting marks all the time petrol on inside may show a leak or you could see if anybody local to you in engineering has a dye crack detection kit but if you are real worried can you not get a used one

I know some engineering types who may be able to help with leak testing.

I wouldn't say that I'm "worried," since the inside looks fine to me.  I've shopped used ones on Ebay (US), not much there that isn't in worse shape than mine!  I'm actually more worried about the shrapnel that I removed from the sediment in the pan!

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 04, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »
I almost threw away the washer that fits between the oil filter and the big spring - it was stuck to the filter and I didn't notice it until I was dropping the filter into the recycling bin.

The washer is bent.  How on earth does that happen?  It's sturdy enough that I can't bend it back with bare hands... 

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 04, 2020, 01:04:57 PM »
Never seen a bent washer (probably found on workshop floor after being driven over), lost of missing ones yes. The aint expensive to replace.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 04, 2020, 01:08:04 PM »
Never seen a bent washer (probably found on workshop floor after being driven over), lost of missing ones yes. The aint expensive to replace.

Only very slightly bent... I'll flatten it back out with a hammer - or replace.  Actually, it's probably fine as it is... just surprised to see it.  I guess nothing should surprise me on this bike...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 16, 2020, 03:53:03 PM »
Still pondering the possibly cracked sump...

I'm still not sure if the cam chain tensioner action is working, but at least I've found that the external nuts and bolts are free and functional, so that's something.  I know bryanj has described the simple procedure for setting the cam chain tension with the engine off, but is there a simple way of checking the action with the engine not running?  I've photographed the internals through the bottom opening revealed by the sump removal, but I cannot see the tensioner horseshoe or the other parts... I'm not sure it's visible...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 20, 2020, 02:24:01 PM »
... is there a simple way of checking the action with the engine not running?

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 20, 2020, 02:34:02 PM »
I don't know where this bike was ridden, but the gunge inside the sprocket cover is shocking - chain lube (I assume) flung everywhere, and dirt/sand/grit thickly mixed throughout!  The cover wasn't too bad to clean, as it's removable... but the engine, still on the bike?  What a mess!  Same gunk that was all over the rear of the engine, swing arm, chain guard...

I must admit I'm surprised to see the sprocket mounting splines on the end of the shaft displaying surface rust - everything else is coated with crap, but it's clean and dry (and rusty).  I guess chain lube gets thrown away from the shaft...

Before:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

After:

Piles of crap scraped off:

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 20, 2020, 02:52:16 PM »
... is there a simple way of checking the action with the engine not running?

Anyone have any ideas about this?

If you uncinch the chain tensioner clamp bolt then put a telltale rod into the shaft hole,  now put the bike in (take out the spark plugs first) gear and turn the rear wheel backwards,  it should visibly push that rod out as the cam chain trys to deflect the tensioner and so rock the horseshoe backwards. 
Then re tension if you turn the engine forward to pull the front chain run tight again, leaving the slack at the rear run for the tensioner to follow suit.
In essence the tensioner rod should go up and down when using opposing direction of crankshaft travel if left unlocked.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 20, 2020, 02:58:17 PM »
Note;- you've only to turn the crank maybe 10 degree in either direction to see the above and not multiple rotation.

It's just to flip flop the excess play in the chain to front or rear orientation within the two runs inside the cylinder block.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 20, 2020, 03:23:30 PM »
Thanks K2-K6, that's helpful!

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 20, 2020, 06:58:44 PM »
I followed your suggestion, K2-K6... there is upward movement of the "telltale" rod when I bump the engine backwards - but not much, maybe just a couple of millimeters... does this sound right?  I don't know how much movement is ideal...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal