Author Topic: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Bryanj

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2018, 03:45:12 AM »
If it does all gp wrong the caliper is the same on the 500/550 four and the 500 twin so plenty out there.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »
If it does all gp wrong the caliper is the same on the 500/550 four and the 500 twin so plenty out there.

Noted, thanks!

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »
I started work on the brake master cylinder.  Laverda120 says the pattern replacements are painted black, and to keep my OEM one for the original finish.  I find that the finish is a bare metal look on the top, but black around the bottom, sort of 1/2-and-1/2.  Interesting...

The brake lever bushing (that is held in place by the little plate) was like a black sticky paste, rather than rubber; I scooped it out and will replace it during the rebuild.

I could see no sign of the spring clip that holds the piston dust boot on, so I just pulled the dust boot off, in a few pieces.  It took me awhile to even find the clip afterwards, it was rusty and blended in with the rest of the junk remarkably well!  But I eventually found it and removed it; now the c-clip is next.  One end is free to move, but the other is stuck fast; I'll give it a weekend soak with penetrating oil and come back to it.  The piston moves freely, though, so I hope the cylinder/reservoir piece will clean up well...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Today at 10:35:05 AM »
The MC is apart - I couldn't get my clip pliers in there (not an uncommon issue, I guess); I was able to hook the "free" end of the c-clip with a pick and drag it out - bent up in the process, but it'll be replaced so no matter.  The rest came out with a punch and some gentle persuasion through the banjo bolt end.  Now I need to clean up the gunk that was gumming up the c-clip and piston retaining washer...

Offline Laverda120

• SOHC Pro
  • Honda 400/4 F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Today at 10:40:39 AM »
Well done. Nothing beats the 'I did it feeling'.