Author Topic: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model  (Read 4150 times)

Offline Bryanj

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model
« Reply #165 on: December 06, 2018, 03:45:12 AM »
If it does all gp wrong the caliper is the same on the 500/550 four and the 500 twin so plenty out there.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 06, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »
If it does all gp wrong the caliper is the same on the 500/550 four and the 500 twin so plenty out there.

Noted, thanks!

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »
I started work on the brake master cylinder.  Laverda120 says the pattern replacements are painted black, and to keep my OEM one for the original finish.  I find that the finish is a bare metal look on the top, but black around the bottom, sort of 1/2-and-1/2.  Interesting...

The brake lever bushing (that is held in place by the little plate) was like a black sticky paste, rather than rubber; I scooped it out and will replace it during the rebuild.

I could see no sign of the spring clip that holds the piston dust boot on, so I just pulled the dust boot off, in a few pieces.  It took me awhile to even find the clip afterwards, it was rusty and blended in with the rest of the junk remarkably well!  But I eventually found it and removed it; now the c-clip is next.  One end is free to move, but the other is stuck fast; I'll give it a weekend soak with penetrating oil and come back to it.  The piston moves freely, though, so I hope the cylinder/reservoir piece will clean up well...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2018, 10:35:05 AM »
The MC is apart - I couldn't get my clip pliers in there (not an uncommon issue, I guess); I was able to hook the "free" end of the c-clip with a pick and drag it out - bent up in the process, but it'll be replaced so no matter.  The rest came out with a punch and some gentle persuasion through the banjo bolt end.  Now I need to clean up the gunk that was gumming up the c-clip and piston retaining washer...

Offline Laverda120

• SOHC Pro
  • Honda 400/4 F2
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »
Well done. Nothing beats the 'I did it feeling'.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »
Well done. Nothing beats the 'I did it feeling'.

Thanks Laverda, you're right!  Now to sort out how to clean up the rest without damaging anything...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2018, 10:25:19 AM »
I found a cheap used Haynes manual.  The author, when writing about front brake maintenance, said: "Check also that there are no small stones etc, in the reservoir; its exposed position invites vandalism."

Seriously?  Is this how bike vandals strike?  Should I consider a master cylinder cap lock?  If I use one, can I get a reduction on my insurance premium?  ;)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Pro
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2018, 10:08:35 PM »
Years ago when I used to visit the g/f in the nurses home I’d park the 400F under a fire escape. (Leeds / UK). Upon leaving one night I happened to notice pooling abouts the front end; some bloody low-life had semi-cut through the brake hose - my guess being that it looked in one piece and thus he hoped I wouldn’t notice until too late. Don’t underestimate the scum who seem to be everywhere...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »
Is this a normal arrangement for the underside of the ignition switch?  What's the story with the thin wire that's clearly cutting into the plug?  Click to zoom right in...

edit: not sure why the thumbnail is sideways, but the external view seems to be right...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2018, 08:08:10 PM »
Switch is broken, you can see where it's been glued, my guess is that the wire is to support the wiring plug as the glue wasn't strong enough to do the job. Looks like you'll be needing a new ignition switch.
Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2018, 08:14:42 PM »
Switch is broken, you can see where it's been glued, my guess is that the wire is to support the wiring plug as the glue wasn't strong enough to do the job. Looks like you'll be needing a new ignition switch.

That would explain it!  Can I replace the switch while retaining the lock, so I can use the same key?  The bike came with only one key, and I just got a couple copies made.  Not to mention the seat and fuel cap locks...

Offline Bryanj

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2018, 09:06:23 PM »
Emgo do a replacement plastic switch part but get the correct one as there are two different ones.

Some people on here decry emgo but i have used their parts for many years with few failures.

You can find an Emgo catalogue on line.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2018, 10:09:14 PM »
Emgo do a replacement plastic switch part but get the correct one as there are two different ones.

Some people on here decry emgo but i have used their parts for many years with few failures.

You can find an Emgo catalogue on line.

This is for the ignition switch?  Not sure what the "plastic part" is, the bit that looks glued onto what looks like a metal body of the switch?

Offline Bryanj

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »
Yes the complete white plastic part which clips to the metal body. If you pm me your email i will send you some pics and links

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 23, 2018, 10:39:07 PM »
Will do, thanks!