Author Topic: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model  (Read 38185 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2018, 10:35:05 AM »
The MC is apart - I couldn't get my clip pliers in there (not an uncommon issue, I guess); I was able to hook the "free" end of the c-clip with a pick and drag it out - bent up in the process, but it'll be replaced so no matter.  The rest came out with a punch and some gentle persuasion through the banjo bolt end.  Now I need to clean up the gunk that was gumming up the c-clip and piston retaining washer...

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »
Well done. Nothing beats the 'I did it feeling'.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »
Well done. Nothing beats the 'I did it feeling'.

Thanks Laverda, you're right!  Now to sort out how to clean up the rest without damaging anything...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2018, 10:25:19 AM »
I found a cheap used Haynes manual.  The author, when writing about front brake maintenance, said: "Check also that there are no small stones etc, in the reservoir; its exposed position invites vandalism."

Seriously?  Is this how bike vandals strike?  Should I consider a master cylinder cap lock?  If I use one, can I get a reduction on my insurance premium?  ;)

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2018, 10:08:35 PM »
Years ago when I used to visit the g/f in the nurses home I’d park the 400F under a fire escape. (Leeds / UK). Upon leaving one night I happened to notice pooling abouts the front end; some bloody low-life had semi-cut through the brake hose - my guess being that it looked in one piece and thus he hoped I wouldn’t notice until too late. Don’t underestimate the scum who seem to be everywhere...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 23, 2018, 07:38:23 PM »
Is this a normal arrangement for the underside of the ignition switch?  What's the story with the thin wire that's clearly cutting into the plug?  Click to zoom right in...

edit: not sure why the thumbnail is sideways, but the external view seems to be right...

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 23, 2018, 08:14:42 PM »
Switch is broken, you can see where it's been glued, my guess is that the wire is to support the wiring plug as the glue wasn't strong enough to do the job. Looks like you'll be needing a new ignition switch.

That would explain it!  Can I replace the switch while retaining the lock, so I can use the same key?  The bike came with only one key, and I just got a couple copies made.  Not to mention the seat and fuel cap locks...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2018, 09:06:23 PM »
Emgo do a replacement plastic switch part but get the correct one as there are two different ones.

Some people on here decry emgo but i have used their parts for many years with few failures.

You can find an Emgo catalogue on line.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2018, 10:09:14 PM »
Emgo do a replacement plastic switch part but get the correct one as there are two different ones.

Some people on here decry emgo but i have used their parts for many years with few failures.

You can find an Emgo catalogue on line.

This is for the ignition switch?  Not sure what the "plastic part" is, the bit that looks glued onto what looks like a metal body of the switch?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2018, 10:20:01 PM »
Yes the complete white plastic part which clips to the metal body. If you pm me your email i will send you some pics and links

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2018, 10:39:07 PM »
Will do, thanks!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2018, 11:30:18 PM »

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2019, 07:19:40 PM »
Might as well keep the ignition switch discussion going here...

I removed and dismantled the switch - well, the switch self-dismantled before I got it disconnected, and small parts scattered to the floor beneath the bike.  There's two very small ball bearings and springs which stayed put, thankfully, but I definitely heard other bits jingle to the floor, so I looked carefully around and found two springs, two contact pieces, and a screw.  After close inspection, I believe the screw to be a red herring, and not part of the switch at all - just happened to be lying nearby on the floor when I started searching.  It looks very much like a screw commonly used to secure wall switch and outlet cover plates here in the US.

Switch with glue:

Switch and back cover:

Guts - it all seems to go back together only one way, so if I tried to reuse it, I could sort it out:

Mystery screw:

Interestingly, despite all the wire and glue, the plastic cover doesn't appear to be broken at all, nor does the metal housing - but the cover doesn't hold tightly when installed even without the switch guts.  But the glue is filling the slots that the tabs should be gripping (except where the tabs were in place to displace the glue while it was setting), so maybe no surprise there... I think I need to try to clear all the glue away and see what's what - actually I think it might be epoxy-like JB Weld, so I'm in for a treat...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »
I removed all the glue.  It wasn't too bad a job; it scraped off the metal pretty easily, and peeled off the plastic switch cover in "sheets" with just a fingernail.  I doubt it was doing much, if anything, and that the bailing wire was doing all the work - as evidenced by the fact that the electrical bits at the bottom of the switch self-destructed shortly after I cut that wire.  Anyway, I don't see any actual damage to any part.  The cover still seems a bit loose (probably why it was glued and wired in the first place!); I think I might be able to soften the tabs with heat and bend them out a bit to see if it would hold - but a whole new switch and cover plate (Emgo) is only $8 delivered, so I ordered one.  We'll see how a new one fits before I decide how to proceed...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2019, 02:15:41 PM »
Ok if I keep adding posts about random quick stuff here?

Speedometer and tachometer cable set screws...

Ok, so I thought I'd remove the front wheel so I could squeeze the caliper piston out with the brake lever before dismantling.  Let's see, step one: "remove the speedometer set screw." Easy enough.  Hmm, the recess looks pretty small, what size allen wrench is that?  None of mine fit.  Wait, where's my damn glasses, that doesn't look quite right:

(Attachment Link)

Wha? Quick forum search for that set screw... oh.  So this is how it's going to be, huh? (sighs...)

I found the speedo cable set screw in the parts book... Frame Group, Block #2A, Ref. #437, Part #93700-05016-0A, "screw, oval, 5x16".  I can't find the tach cable set screw in the parts book.  I declared earlier that I had read somewhere that they're the same screw, but not sure now where I came by this info.  Can anyone confirm whether they're in fact the same screw?

I removed both of those set screws... drilled out the knackered heads, tapped a Torx bit into the hole and turned both right out.  Turns out the speedo cable screw was 12mm and the tach cable screw was 16mm. The tach screw hole is blind, and the 12mm is too short.  The speedo screw mounting hole (at the front hub) is open at both ends, and while the 12mm seems to work fine, the 16mm fits and in fact comes almost flush with the back of the hole, so it's probably a better choice anyway.  I'll replace them both with 16mm screws.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal