Author Topic: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model  (Read 38170 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model
« Reply #210 on: February 05, 2019, 09:02:20 AM »
I will have a look at my box of assorted cables and let you know. As your cable is fubared i would clamp the end of the outer by yhe adjuster in a vice and use a spanner to turn the adjuster away from it with lost of WD

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 05, 2019, 11:43:41 AM »
Looking at the clutch cable will the nipple on the end go through the hole in the screwed adjuster?

I will have a look at my box of assorted cables and let you know. As your cable is fubared i would clamp the end of the outer by yhe adjuster in a vice and use a spanner to turn the adjuster away from it with lost of WD

I wasn't quite sure of the significance of your question, but I had a look at some parts diagrams and now I think I just learned something new - the adjuster isn't part of the cable, is it?  I just thought it was all one piece, since I hadn't seen any detailed images of them separated, and mine are fused together.

I think I can find a cable here, as long as I am willing to take a chance on a seller who doesn't really know what they're selling and relying on photos to inform buyers...

I'll separate the pieces, I'll have to do it anyway.  Only problem I foresee is that the adjuster's socket where the cable housing seats could be rusted, and difficult to clean well.  That's another part that's hard to find, I've only found one so far - new stainless steel from Yamiya750.com.  Maybe if it's not too bad I can get someone to blast it clean...

EDIT: I was searching for the wrong part number for the adjuster - there's a few around, but I haven't yet found any in the US, and nothing on ebay...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:59:02 AM by mattsz »

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2019, 04:54:45 PM »
Dimensions...
  • Inner cable length, ball-end to ball-end… 45 inches
  • Outer housing length, metal sleeve at handlebar to end of adjustment screw at clutch housing… 41-5/8 inches
  • Adjustment screw at clutch housing… 1-11/16 inches
  • There’s also a protective sleeve around the outer housing, about 13-1/2 inches long, which starts about 17-1/2 inches from the metal sleeve of the outer housing at the handlebar

So the highlighted dimension is not correct - I measured the outer housing without the adjuster, it's 40-1/4 inches...

:-[

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 05, 2019, 04:56:25 PM »
As you need to keep the adjuster and the cable is scrap a measure of mechanical violence is OK

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 05, 2019, 05:00:30 PM »
As you need to keep the adjuster and the cable is scrap a measure of mechanical violence is OK

;D

Not too much violence needed, cable housing in a vice as you said, and the adjuster "wrenched" right off.  I cleaned it off with a wire brush and I'm soaking it in white vinegar for a day or so to see if it helps it - a small test before I try it inside the fuel tank?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 05, 2019, 08:47:48 PM »
I have a cable that is longer than those measurements but approx the same "free play" you can have it for postage but that is probably more than a local e bay purchase!

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 05, 2019, 09:05:55 PM »
Thank you Bryan - I don't know how much the shipping would be, but the ebay guy I mentioned earlier has been very helpful with trying to sort out if it's really the right cable, and he's charging US$20 including shipping, so based on all that I'll probably go that way...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2019, 09:23:32 PM »
No problem, one of the hazards of living opposite sides of the pond!!

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2019, 12:09:50 AM »
So I soaked the clutch adjustment bolt in white distilled vinegar for a few days, along with some fine filing, and it came up pretty neat and clean.  I'll reuse it, with plenty of lubrication/rust prevention.

The clutch lever's pivoted cable mount end is pretty badly rusted where the cable attaches.  I'd like to try to reuse it; can I safely soak it in vinegar as well?  Not sure what kind of finish it has, and whether it will handle it...

Also, where the lever attaches to... umm... whatever it attaches to with that nut (clutch adjusting bolt?)... the lever seemed sort of loose and a bit "floppy?" even though the nut was tight.  Is that normal?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 10, 2019, 08:36:30 AM »
There is, or rather should be, some "free play" in the lever movement before the mechanism starts to operate the clutch.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2019, 09:10:53 AM »
These is, or should be, a little anti rattle tube on the lever fitting as well. When these are shot or missing it makes the lever feel even looser.
Edit...him indoors has told me I'm loosing the plot, the anti rattle is on the brake lever...doh  :-\
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:33:31 AM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2019, 10:17:46 AM »
There is, or rather should be, some "free play" in the lever movement before the mechanism starts to operate the clutch.

I hesitated to refer to the looseness I described as "free play", because the movement I encountered wasn't just in the expected direction of travel.  The cable mount end could be gripped and pulled and pushed in and out a bit - laterally, 90º to the normal "rotational" direction of travel.  I could also hold the other end with two fingers, directly over the mounting nut, and pivot (not rotate) it slightly - basically the same movement just described, but in any direction.  Almost as if the adjustment spindle it was fastened to was made of a stiff rubber material, rather than solid metal?  Yet the locking nut was very tightly fastened... it's difficult for me to describe.  A short video would reveal all, but I'm away from the bike this week.

Would that rubber oil seal behind lever arm allow for such movement?

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2019, 10:29:36 AM »
These is, or should be, a little anti rattle tube on the lever fitting as well. When these are shot or missing it makes the lever feel even looser.
Edit...him indoors has told me I'm loosing the plot, the anti rattle is on the brake lever...doh  :-\

My parts book calls it simply a "bush" - mine was in place, but in many tiny pieces.  What a pricey little headache!  I bought a replacement for $3.00 (about as cheap as I could find it), as part of an order for a few more items.  If I knew the proper size and composition, I probably could nip down to my local hardware store and find something that would work fine for $3 a meter instead of $3 a centimeter, but that's the way it goes...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2019, 01:07:38 AM »
The clutch lever's pivoted cable mount end is pretty badly rusted where the cable attaches.  I'd like to try to reuse it; can I safely soak it in vinegar as well?  Not sure what kind of finish it has, and whether it will handle it...

Answered my own question...

before, pretty greenish finish:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

after soaking the lower half in vinegar:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

pretty greenish finish is gone (note the "vinegar-line") and there's a similar greenish rainbow sheen on the surface of the vinegar I'm soaking in.  Hopefully I can just clean it and lube it and it will stay happy...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2019, 06:45:35 PM »
Thank you Bryan - I don't know how much the shipping would be, but the ebay guy I mentioned earlier has been very helpful with trying to sort out if it's really the right cable, and he's charging US$20 including shipping, so based on all that I'll probably go that way...

Got the new clutch cable - it's identical in every dimension to the frozen one that came off, so that's a win!  Full marks to the seller who didn't know what he had, but went out of his way to post photos and take measurements to help me decide...

Does this thread belong on the "projects" board?  Does it make sense to keep adding to it here?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal