Author Topic: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model  (Read 38172 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: New (to me!) '77 CB400F - US model
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2019, 12:13:19 PM »
... whilst I don’t have the US wiring diagram mattsz, I’m not sure how connecting the Park & HL will bypass the starter button ‘protection’ - ie I’d have thought the ‘protection’ will continue to work as designed?

Perhaps "protection" wasn't the best choice of words - substitute "function?"  USA model headlights are always on when the ignition key is on - except when you push the starter button - power to the headlight is then temporarily disconnected until the starter button is released.  So the circuit's "function" is to remove the electrical load of the headlight while the starter is used.  Whether that's a "protection" could be debated, I suppose.  Whatever you call it, with that jumper shorting the two wires in question, the headlight would stay on when the starter button is pressed, which is not the intended design.  I think...  ;)

BTW, if you're at all interested, I've added my version of the USA-spec wiring diagram to the same post that has the UK-spec diagram... link to that thread: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,17969.msg155929.html#msg155929

My guess at this bodge is that there’s been a break in the Black/Red feed (to the fuse holder) ... and so the PO has jumped the two together.

Has the PO therefore solved the problem and (lazily) restored the lighting to normal road light functioning?  (at the expense of proper Park light function)

Thinking about it, I'm liking this idea - you may or may not recall that my starter switch was broken, and it wouldn't operate the starter properly (pic of the switch in this post: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,17599.msg153989.html#msg153989).  Full headlight current runs through that switch - the "break in the Black/Red feed (to the fuse holder)" you mentioned could very well have been that broken switch - and I wouldn't have realized it because the headlight was getting power through that bodge...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 09, 2019, 01:13:20 PM »
Sorry for my shameless cross post - I posted a question of sorts in the tricks and tips section, which has had 80+ views to date but no replies.  Anyone care to take a look and comment?

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,20253.msg179895.html#msg179895

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 09, 2019, 03:17:39 PM »
Sorry for my shameless cross post - I posted a question of sorts in the tricks and tips section, which has had 80+ views to date but no replies.  Anyone care to take a look and comment?

A soda blaster has many uses, including the parts you are talking about. No media is left, so no issues with little bits if glass or sand being left but, it is a slow process blasting anything with soda. The outcome and time spent is entirely dependant in the output of the compressor you are using. It needs to be a high CFM rating to do an effective job.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:19:55 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #288 on: October 09, 2019, 10:08:55 PM »
...yea, I’ve read this ‘tip’ before Oddjob, noting that jumper wire was not in fact needed; you simply took two fuses out and rammed one back into in the ‘dead space’ between the holders. (and like you I can’t remember which two - but it wouldn’t be hard to work out)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 09, 2019, 10:57:14 PM »

A soda blaster has many uses, including the parts you are talking about. No media is left, so no issues with little bits if glass or sand being left but, it is a slow process blasting anything with soda. The outcome and time spent is entirely dependant in the output of the compressor you are using. It needs to be a high CFM rating to do an effective job.

Thanks Julie!  Where does the baking soda go?  Or, do you have to wash the parts and the soda dissolves?  I guess the junk you're blasting off has gotta be clean off somehow...

The specs on that tool are, ahh... interesting.  The website lists the "average air consumption as 7 cubic feet/min @ 90psi... which is also the maximum pressure...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 09, 2019, 11:02:49 PM »
The thing with the twisted wire makes me wonder if the bike has ever been stolen?

Ooooh, the plot thickens!  While this is certainly an intriguing possibility, I doubt it's the case.  The bikes previous ownership history is pretty well known, and the same type of wire that was jumping the fuses was also holding the broken ignition switch together (physically, not electrically).  I really like the "bypassing the broken headlight switch" theory - but that said, anything is possible!!!

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 09, 2019, 11:16:57 PM »

Thanks Julie!  Where does the baking soda go?  Or, do you have to wash the parts and the soda dissolves?  I guess the junk you're blasting off has gotta be clean off somehow...

The specs on that tool are, ahh... interesting.  The website lists the "average air consumption as 7 cubic feet/min @ 90psi... which is also the maximum pressure...
The baking soda is water soluble so a rinse in water will sort that. The spec on that tool is nowhere near man enough for the job, you would need 14 CFM at an absolute minimum and that one is only 7 CFM. The CFM is more important than the PSI for blasting any media.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 10, 2019, 01:57:33 AM »
The spec on that tool is nowhere near man enough for the job

I'll save my money...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 25, 2019, 04:44:44 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread, I finally removed my broken silencer - despite copious application of heat and penetrating oil over a long period, I just couldn't budge it without making it even worse - if it's possible!  I couldn't grip the body, since it was already separated from the connecting end, and any, ahhhh... forceable persuasion... just served to bend and deform the collar where it joins the collector.  I literally had to peel the collar away to get it free.  Pics... the original break is obvious:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

An additional hole in the bottom at the rear, which I didn't even know was there:

The collector end, with the graphite-like "gasket" which suffered a bit in the removal as well:

Anyway, based on all that, I decided not to try and repair it.  The usual aftermarket silencer supplied by DSS is out of stock - not like I'm in any hurry for it anyway.  Matt at their USA location said that they'd have a new supply of these after the new year.  But then he got back to me and said they had a discounted one in stock with a couple of dents, which would be visible when mounted.  I don't think I'll regret the tradeoff, since I'm not doing a fancy restoration, and just want to get it running, so I bought it, along with a couple of other items on my list.   The savings just about paid for the extra bits and the shipping...

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 25, 2019, 05:52:25 PM »
That’s the same place that mine has corroded Mattsz although I don’t think mine is quite so bad as yours. In fact the chrome comes up quite nice with a polish. Also I think my baffles are breaking up as the silencer rattles as you move it.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2020, 09:46:02 PM »
The 400 is being stored in a heated shop for the winter!  8)

But it's 1/2 an hour from me...  :(

I went up there today, to poke at a few things - forgot to bring the key with me, so electrical tests were a hassle!  Reinstalled my now-unbent rear turn signal bracket; tested the light but it wouldn't work.  Turns out the bulb was fried - nice and cloudy.

Could it be the original?  How long has it been since Stanley made bulbs?

Inside the same turn signal housing, the plastic's "chrome" lining is peeling off in sheets - I wonder if the bulb's hazy failure is related?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2020, 09:57:25 PM »
Stanley are still in production and that milky colour is caused by air leaking into the envelope

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2020, 10:56:16 PM »
The guy I bought my Sylvania replacement bulbs from said Stanley hasn't made bulbs for years... maybe he just hasn't sold them...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 25, 2020, 11:08:09 PM »
The 400 is being stored in a heated shop for the winter!  8)

But it's 1/2 an hour from me...  :(

Went to fetch the wee Honda today!  It wasn't very happy to leave its winter home, I'm sure! (see attached) I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and reassembling it and try to get it running!

Oddly, after sitting for over a year with hardly a drop of oil on the floor, I found it today with a couple of puddles beneath it.  Not much, about a half-teaspoon between the two - but I wonder why it's decided to weep just over the last six weeks?

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 25, 2020, 11:40:35 PM »
It did an excited wee because it was going home. 😂
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal