SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB500/550

Electronic ignitions

(1/2) > >>

matthewmosse:
I'm thinking of fitting a boyer ignition system to eliminate points from the maintenence schedule and variables when finding starting problems. The question is, What brand works best? I'm thinking Boyer at the moment but before I spend lots of cash I thought I'd ask if anyone has any suggestions? The second factor is which system would be best? one seems to replace the points the other the coils as well which costs more but has the benefit of new shiny and smallness, Might free up enough room to put the extra black box under the tank, cos an alarm fills up the tool tray on my 500 and I don't want to bin any (more) of the originallity factor.

SteveD CB500K0:
Have you looked at the Dyna S?

Replaces points completely.

At the moment, Jeff Saunders at www.z1enterprises.com will sell you one for $120 + $10 shipping (surface mail so you have to wait). With the exchange rate at present, this is a fantastic deal!

Dyna also supply coils if you want to go the whole hog - but be careful about overall current draw as the 3 ohm coils will tax your charging system.

For much discussion on this, and a home-made system from "Hondaman", check out www.sohc4.net - it's where the Americans hang out. Jeff Saunders is also a member over there.

matthewmosse:
Price sounds good. Alarm bells ring on mention of more current drain though, I have extra lights on the chair cos If I leave it at the bare min (ie Just a pilot on the chair then people don't realise the width of the outfit and I end up in the hedge  on our narrow roads) anyway the problem is I know the heated grips and lights cannot run at the same time unless I'm moving at over 60. Either I need coils that don't tax the electics more than the exsisting ones. Or I need to uprate the charging system. Anyone had expirience of upgrading the altinator? (re winding perhaps?) something I've been tempted to do for a while anyway.
Does the dyna system replace the advancer as well?

SteveD CB500K0:
There's a guy in the States called "Hondaman" who has designed his own ignition specifically for SOHC bikes.

If you read through these threads you will see that he's done a proper job and has made them for other members.  He's also experimented with 3 ohm coils.

There's a lot of reading; get yourself a beer and settle down in front of your computer for a while. 

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=22252.30

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=31821.0

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27610.75

matthewmosse:
Thanks for that, I geuss the beer might help me understand all that technical stuff! Not a clue what all that about 3 ohm dynas is ??? If I'm understanding it right I can run standard coils (or dynas?) with this ignition and be using less power. And save lots of cash ;D. I geuss some LEDs for the tail lights would be a worthwhile try as long as the numberplate is still illuminated and a good clean for all the connections. Or just carry on shoving a car battery in the sidecar for those long winter rides ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version