Author Topic: Seized Brake Bleed Nipple  (Read 11147 times)

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Seized Brake Bleed Nipple
« on: March 29, 2008, 01:00:18 PM »
Usual problem with the front brake on my 550.

Has anyone fitted one of these? Will it fit?

It seems a good idea as I don't want to snap the existing nipple trying to remove it.

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/item--Single-Banjo-Bolt-With-Bleed-Nipple--Banjo+Single+Nipple.html
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline mick

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Seized Brake Bleed Nipple
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 01:25:49 PM »
Looks like a good idea, you could be our guinea pig and report back after you have fitted it  ;D  ;) cheers Mick.

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:30:03 PM »
I think I'll have to replace the brake hoses first as the metal pipe that connects to the caliper doesn't have a banjo fitting.
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »
Yep, one of the 550k3's I had (stiil got, in bits) had one fitted, was once chrome but now just gungy looking but works well, far better then potentially wrecking the caliper by trying to extract the offending bit of metal. I've one caliper where last owner managed to break the alloy castinging exposing the thread down the side of the blled nipple. Possible to get welded if I was desperate..........
Bonus is the complete hose system can be replaced with 1 length of braided stainless (or 2 if you feel the need to keep the front brake switch) You can also get banjos with a brake switch built in wich work a treat.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 06:04:27 PM »
My "Silver Machine" 500 has a single braided front line.

As long as your back brake light works, this is not an MOT issue.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
Does anyone know the size and pitch of the banjo?
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 11:51:17 PM »
If the bleeder threads are shot try this link

http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?cPath=cPath=44&products_id=842

To use a bajo + bolt the bolt has to have not many threads in the caliper due to the conical fitting that seals on the pipe M10 x 1.0 I THINK but dont hold me to it

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 09:06:37 AM »
That looks interesting Bryan.

Am I right in thinking that you drill a hole in the caliper, tap it and screw one of those things in?
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline pae

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
    • Phil's CB650 pages
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 08:46:23 AM »
My "Silver Machine" 500 has a single braided front line.

As long as your back brake light works, this is not an MOT issue.

Is that right? Even if it had one originally? (Not that most - any - testers would know whether my 650 originally had a front switch or not).

regards, Phil

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »
Yes, I was slightly surprised as well.

If you have indicators fitted they MUST work, but as long as you have a brake light (and it doesn't matter which one), it's OK.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 11:40:25 AM »
The system my 550 had was a banjo bolt on master cylinder onto braided line. If you want a brake switch it is just a fancy banjo bolt which fits in master cylinder/ hose union just needs it's wires extending. On the caliper end the bleed/ banjo bolt combi just bolts into the caliper with as far as I know no tapping or drilling, leaving the stuck bleed nipple undisturbed. On the 500's and 550's they are old enough not to need both brake light switches for MOT perpouses. On newer machines, I think post 1985, then 2 switches are required due to some nasty construction and use regs. Also post 1985 machines need stamped, approved exhausts etc. Pre 1985 bikes are a Lot easyer to live with in this respect, less lights, no need for indicators / mirrors / only one brake light switch / exhaust just 'not deemed excessively loud' / not blowing, lights not needing to be so bright. Should have seen my 6 volt 'ped. I used to use push bike lights to actually see by! ;D
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 12:41:32 PM »
exhaust just 'not deemed excessively loud'

This is the great debate and why you need an understanding, local MOT man.

I have a spare Motad which I could use, but I've never had a problem with old bikes and noise. The Rickman/Yoshi combo had the MOT tester drooling - he didn't give a stuff about the hooligan noise!
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline james

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 01:45:56 PM »
I've got one of those on my Z and it works perfectly, I've also got a double banjo brake switch on my honda ( i did away with the splitter and ran two lines from the m/c to the calipers) that works fine too!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2008, 05:30:18 AM »
Steve, my local tester has been jumped on by the man from the ministry who sez that the exhaust must be as quiet as a similar bike "IN STANDARD CONDITION" with a non rotted exhaust.

This relaces the BS number regulation---I had one customer argue that one till i pointed out the BS number he had was chrome quality NOT noise standard!!!

The only one i know that pass "out of the box" are Motad all the others require insertion of fiberglass!!!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 07:40:45 AM »
the exhaust must be as quiet as a similar bike "IN STANDARD CONDITION" with a non rotted exhaust.

So the Rickman is OK then as in "standard condition" it came with a loud 4-1 (not like the earlier (orange, wire wheels) Rickmans that used std 4-4)
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal