Author Topic: front end wobble  (Read 779 times)

Offline ricardo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
front end wobble
« on: October 28, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »
Hi Ricardo here.

I'm moving on to sort this problem out. It's very noticeable at low speeds especially on cornering.
Front tyre nearly new and air pressure ok. It was initially a little flat and topping up the air made a slight difference.
It does need new front brake pads which I'll do as part of the front end work.
I understand that 1) wheel bearings 2) bearings etc in front fork and 3) front springs could  be the reason. How would you suggest I started diagnosing the cause.

Ricardo

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: front end wobble
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 12:44:45 PM »
Put the bike on the centrestand so that front wheel is off the ground.
Hold the bottom of the fork legs and gently pull/push them forward and backwards to feel for any play in the steering head. If so needs adjusting.
Then  at the side of the front wheel hold the wheel top and bottom and gently pull at the top and push at the bottom to rock the wheel sideways to check for play in the bearings. If you can feel any play then you need new bearings.
There aren't any bushes or bearings inside the forks. The stanchions slide directly in the aluminium fork lowers.
If the fork lowers are seriously worn then you need replacements.  Hopefully they're ok. HTH. 👍
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 01:05:53 PM »
In addition to above,  have you checked the wheel for runout? How straight it is.

Same as the wheel if it's straight,  check the tire for straight running and if it's mounted true to the rim. Usually on the side of the tire they have a "sighting" mark in the form of a ridge that runs close to the rim all the way round,  this allows the tire fitter to check that it's been installed correctly and has fully popped up onto the bead all the way round.

In addition,  the tire is usually marked with dot or two that the manufacturer puts at the lightest part of the carcass,  this should be placed by the valve when fitted to allow a better start balance of the assembly.  If you deflate the tire and use a torch,  then you can see down beside the rim if this is correct.

Offline ricardo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 01:49:34 PM »
Any thanks to you all. I'll do the and see what happens.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 08:15:54 PM »
As an add-on to the comment regarding the heavy/light spot on the tyre, whilst you have the bike with its front wheel off the deck, make sure that the brake pads have released enough so the wheel spins freely, then just give the wheel a gentle spin and make a mark on the lowest part of the tyre where it stops. Repeat this a few times, if it stops at the same spot, that's your heavy area. Many moons ago I unknowingly lost a balance weight from my front wheel, and at about 35-40MPH with a closed throttle, a firm grip was needed on the bars to stop it developing into a "Tank Slapper". Stay upright, regards, Mick.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 09:11:23 PM »
Check the spokes are tightened correctly too...

Offline ricardo

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 09:30:15 PM »
Cheers .

Ill work on that ..

Ricardo

Offline Maxcaddy (Nighthawk)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 08:03:35 AM »

If the bikes on the centre stand and the front wheel is of the ground, set the handlebars in the middle. Push on one side of the bars and see how it moves. If it takes a two or three pushs to get the wheel to fall into full lock then the Headstock bearings are too tight. If it falls very easily and bounces off the stops, then the bearings are too loose.

If the bearings are too loose, then depending on the type of bearing fitted which will (99% of the time) be either a taper roller, or a plain ball, you can adjust or replace.

If it is the Headstock (Americans call it triple trees) bearings, and they are ball, then you probably can get a taper roller replacement which will be adjustable next time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal