Author Topic: Electrolytic Action?  (Read 531 times)

Offline heliwilly

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Electrolytic Action?
« on: October 30, 2018, 07:24:06 AM »
I have read on the .Net forum about the use of stainless bolts to replace various covers on the SOHC bikes causing problems with electrolytic action between the alloy and the stainless.
Have any of you had problem removing stainless bolts/screws that have been in situ for a long time.
If this is a problem, would a copper based grease prevent this happening.
On a personal note, I always fit dry to ensure the proper torque because of the alloy.
Bill W.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Electrolytic Action?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 07:38:56 AM »
I have used many stainless bolts over the years. Copper-slip or similar is essential or over time the threads will almost always seize. I have so far not had a single seizure on threads that were coppered.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 09:20:32 AM »
You're right to consider what's going to happen as you will be changing it.

Galvanic corrosion is the overall effect in operation,  in which different metals appear on the "galvanic" scale, meaning that one is cathode and the other anode which given the right circumstances one will "plate" the other.

Usually they use zinc plated bolts so that the zinc is sacrificial,  leaving both the aluminium and the steel more or less intact.  That's what the white residue is,  zinc oxide,  I think. It also needs an electrolyte solution to make it happen generally,  which is where salty water comes in to play it's part.

With plain stainless you've got no sacrificial material in the equation,  so normally I think it'll start to "eat" the aluminium.

Any grease when filling the gaps around the bolt will exclude the electrolyte, if this is complete you'll probably be safe.  But in marine application they've generally used one with zinc oxide included,  that's normally the cream coloured greases that you can see used. It's this component that is then sacrificial.

Unless stated otherwise,  most torque specification is given for dry threads.  For using grease in that scenario, you'd expect to used a 10 to 15% reduction in torque to obtain the same clamping force.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
There is a simple solution to avoid the problem....

Move to a hot dry country.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 09:58:45 AM »
Graham absolutely despairs with some engines we have in where, in the past, SS bolts have been fitted dry and they have literally welded themselves to the alloy. They are a nightmare to remove with some causing quite destructive results to the alloy. If you must use SS bolts, they definitely need a barrier applied of some sort.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline heliwilly

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 10:14:27 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I think in future I will be using a barrier grease. Which is the best to use. I have used copper based grease on somr car applications, but this is the first motorbike engine for 50 years. Thanks Bill.

Offline gtmdriver

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 06:12:04 PM »
I always use Stainless in non-load critical applications but I also always use copper based grease and so far I have never had a problem with seizure.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 06:16:18 PM »
Same here
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal