Author Topic: Early 70’s CB250  (Read 375 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• SOHC Jedi
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Early 70’s CB250
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 08:58:03 AM »
Member who were around when they first came out  can wax on all day long about them but take it from someone who sold one recently and sold a lot of spare parts ....  in recent years ..... that model is VERY popular. My biggest criticism is that Honda, in their wisdom, omitted  to include a removable plate to gain access to the centrifugal oil filter. This meant removing the exhaust and complete clutch cover to do a routine maintenance job and I guess the average owner, if best,  changed the oil but couldn't be bothered with the hassle of cleaning the filter. I reckon if you rebuild it properly and fit the later modified cam chain tensioner it will a decent project Andy.   
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Andych

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 10:54:55 AM »
Thanks Ash
Yes, the plan is to maintain it to the highest standards etc...and the beauty of forums like this is the knowledge in here to know what needs fixing / modifying or weak points to ensure I build a reliable bike to have some fun with...
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline Bryanj

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »
You are correct Ash, it todays world a nice one will be looked after well and be a good thing but we all remember the lemons from our working days and as they say hindsite is the only perfect science!!

Offline Andych

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 08:44:17 PM »
Still havent been able to get up to where the bike is to collect it.. apparently I am not supposed to be driving long distances at the moment.. something to do with the Pain killers or some such rubbish...

So I have been slowly planning how I will go about this sorting this bike.. which is a bit tough as I dont know the build date / Vin number or condition other than the pics I have posted but... I had in my mind a nice rebuild...certainly not a nut and bolt restoration... and then someone posts a pic on FB of an absolutely gorgeous CL350 in a Candy Red with a wicked high mount exhaust and it gets me thinking.. hmmm how would it look with a CL style high mount exhaust.. retro road / trail tyres and high rise CL style bars?
Hmm maybe it is the drugs...lol But the 70's CL350's are a lovely looking bike.. and I am not sure there is too much difference.. visually anyway.. I wouldnt be worried about lower first gear etc.. just how it looks.
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project