Author Topic: CB400F right-hand switch module removal  (Read 1836 times)

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: CB400F right-hand switch module removal
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 11:27:57 PM »
As TrickyMicky suggested, unplug the switch wires from the loom in the headlamp shell and romove the switch assembly. The connections are held in place by some small screws.  Best to do this on a tray so you don't lose anything.  There's a couple of ball bearings and small springs so be careful.
Clean everything up so the contacts are all nice and shiny.  Resolder any wires that look iffy.  Reassemble using grease to hold the springs and ball bearings in place.
They're a lot easier to repair than Suzuki switches.

Hope this helps.

No headlamp shell wiring, as stated earlier, but as for the rest... I never stood a chance! (click on the thumbnail to zoom in on the carnage)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I took just a couple of turns on the little screw that holds the starter switch in the handlebar housing, and all the bits just tumbled out. Broken switch, as you can see.  No wonder it didn't work well!  I think even a Suzuki switch would be easier to repair than this one...

I don't think I lost any parts, though - only one switch, so only one ball.  Are these starter switch units available, or is a whole new starter/kill switch housing in my future?  If the latter, I think I'll look for one with switchable lights...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 11:32:30 PM »
You cant repair or get new that part so its another switch i'm afraid

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 10:23:05 AM »
3-D printing, anyone?  $15 shipped.  Looks like I've got some research to do...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RDM6ZT62Y/cb550-starter-switch-housing-replacement?li=shareProduct

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 10:50:37 AM »
I sent you a pm with an alternative mate

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 10:44:54 PM »
3-D printing, anyone?  $15 shipped.  Looks like I've got some research to do...

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RDM6ZT62Y/cb550-starter-switch-housing-replacement?li=shareProduct

I got this link from the US forum - in one of the long threads, someone with a CB400F claims to have made this work.  I think, at only $15 shipped to my door, I'm basically obligated to try this, wouldn't you guys say?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 11:10:04 PM »
At that price worth a try but take pics as you go and report back. I just hope that as its a UK firm that it works on a US switch that does not have a lights on/off

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 11:14:13 PM »
Shapeways.com was founded in The Netherlands, but is based in New York.  Measured and modeled by two guys in the US from their US-spec CB550...

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 11:25:36 PM »
Great, when i looked at the link i thought it was priced in £ so guessed it was UK but then you should never assume.

Go for it i think all that type of switch has the same starter button.

The difference is that early bike with lights on/off had a solenoid that had power with key on and was grounded at the bars but later bikes had no light switch as lights came on with key(US rules) and the solenoid had a permanent ground  and was fed power from the button which turned lights off at same time to give starting current.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2018, 12:00:34 AM »
Great, when i looked at the link i thought it was priced in £ so guessed it was UK but then you should never assume.

Go for it i think all that type of switch has the same starter button.

The difference is that early bike with lights on/off had a solenoid that had power with key on and was grounded at the bars but later bikes had no light switch as lights came on with key(US rules) and the solenoid had a permanent ground  and was fed power from the button which turned lights off at same time to give starting current.

Maybe it's one of those "smart" sites that knows where you are, and adjust accordingly.  I see there's a pull-down which allows one to change country and currency, the price changes accordingly...

I've got the latter (later) type - no light switch.  As you say, starter switch has two positions - normally closed contacts feet the headlight.  Pushing the button temporarily engages normally open contacts for starter solenoid, and kills the headlight...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 11:14:09 PM »
The original pieces, and the 3D-printed replacement:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

I've got the metal parts soaking in penetrating oil overnight; I'll clean them and try to reassemble tomorrow.

I realize I didn't explain about this very well... US SOHC forum member Smudgemo and his neighbor measured his broken switch housing and created a 3D CAD file for it, then submitted it to the printing firm, who will sell you one directly.  Here's a post which covers the basics (it's part of a longer thread, but there's many missing photobucket pics throughout):

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,163170.msg1931745.html#msg1931745

And, a link to his 10-minute Youtube video showing the process step-by-step:

https://youtu.be/Jirl6UqFSyE

So I'll post my experience here, but the links above provide great detail about this smart little product...

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 02:31:10 AM »
Just out of curiosity, are there any spare UK or Euro right-hand switch modules (with the "off-park-headlight" switch) for the CF400F floating around?  Or are they rare and valuable?

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2019, 09:59:44 AM »
DS sells both original and pattern 400/4 switch modules.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »
DS sells both original and pattern 400/4 switch modules.

Thanks Laverda - the ones shown on the DS website don't look quite right... maybe just because they're new, and my original ones are somewhat faded?  That's why I was asking about original spares, maybe off wrecks or custom builds.  But as I suggested, maybe these are rare and/or valuable, and I understand the pitfalls of buying 40-year-old electrics of unknown history.

Are the originals sold by DS really just that?  Does anyone know if there are drastic differences in quality between their original and pattern ones?

Also, my bike is a '77 USA spec, which never came with the switchable lights; DS doesn't sell these modules from their US store, so I'd have to order from the UK either way.  Also, my bike has higher handlebars, which apparently weren't available originally in the UK? So I'm wondering if the wires on a UK spec switch module would be too short?  I understand that there's guys on this forum with '77 USA imports who have made the "switch" (sorry!)... any issues?

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2019, 01:32:10 PM »
I bought new switch assembles from DS and they are exactly the same as the old ones although of course 'new' and therefore without the rubbing off of paint as you'd have with used parts. It does sound though that you may have a problem with cable length for your higher bars.
You may have to go the US breaker route to get the parts you need.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 01:39:57 PM »
I bought new switch assembles from DS and they are exactly the same as the old ones although of course 'new' and therefore without the rubbing off of paint as you'd have with used parts. It does sound though that you may have a problem with cable length for your higher bars.
You may have to go the US breaker route to get the parts you need.

I don't know if that's an option: the US bikes went to the high bars for '77, but didn't have switchable lights by then... is there an easy way to figure out what parts might be interchangeable between models?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal