Author Topic: New Nember - First Honda Project  (Read 1646 times)

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
New Nember - First Honda Project
« on: December 02, 2018, 06:23:01 PM »
Hi All from sunny London.

So I just bought a 1976 CB550F US import from FleaBay. Looked rough on the photos and looks even rougher in real life.
I have not had chance to go over the bike properly yet,  I was told it has compression but I haven't tried to turn it over yet as I want to soak some oil in the barrels first.
Wires are a rats nest, missing one coil, clutch is very stiff - could just be the cable, Carbs are all there and are unseazed, though I took one of the bowls off and its full of varnish. Tank has a big dent on one side, possibly a hole, need to do some more poking with a screwdriver. Wheels look un-dented and appear straight. Headers are ok and un-dented but the collector is toast and the exhaust is missing
All in all looks like I've got a big project on my hands. The clock is showing 56k so I think I may need to do a full engine rebuild on this one - which for me is going to be interesting as I've only ever rebuilt carbs before. I have restored one bike before - A Yamaha XS2 and although I did a lot of work on it,nit was running when I got it so I didn't delve into the engine further than replacing seals and rebuilding the carbs so I'm going to need a lot of help from the gentlefolk of this forum to guide me through it. I'll start a build thread in the project section when I get going on it!

Pictures before and after of the XS2 I restored and the sorry 550F below

XS2 Before
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

XS2 After

Sorry CB550F

« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:28:55 PM by eight0 »

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: New Nember - First Honda Project
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 06:30:19 PM »

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 06:44:41 PM »
Nice Yam :) Looks very tidy.

The 550 looks like you got a full on project to get stuck into this time! I did something similar with a grotty old 750, and I reckon a full teardown is the only way to go. You just never know whats going on inside a non runner, and you don;t want to find out you have expensive issues in the motor when you spent all your cash on shiny bits :)

oh...yeah...and I looked out the window. London is definitely NOT sunny :)
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 06:51:12 PM »
Thanks SumpMagnet, Yeah I know, might have bitten off more than I can chew but oh well, I was looking for a project.. and I got one!
I was thinking about cleaning the carbs, putting a battery on it, wire the coils to the points and see if it would start.. but I think your right. It's got that many miles on it and I don't know how long its been sat so I think a teardown is the only way to go. 

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 06:56:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum. At times try to remember it is supposed to be fun.  ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 07:00:53 PM »
Get it to at least fire and try to run BEFORE stripdown, at least you have the easy carbs!!

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 07:10:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum. At times try to remember it is supposed to be fun.  ;)

Thanks Moorey!

Get it to at least fire and try to run BEFORE stripdown, at least you have the easy carbs!!

Hmm you thin so? I was going to do that but I've had differing opinions. I have bought another second hand set of coils (as one was missing) and a cheap battery for that reason.
If I'm going to rebuild the engine anyway is there a benefit to getting it running before tearing it down? (Other than the fun of getting an old engine to run and a bit of confidence)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 07:12:12 PM »
Hi and welcome. I bit of spit and polish makes a huge difference to these old girls 😀. Agree with Bryan, try and get it up and running if you can, before you take it all apart. Good luck.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 07:21:13 PM »
The 550 is a very reliable old bike if serviced as it should be, unfortuanatly major parts like the crank and conrods are NOT reaurable and cheapest fix is usualy another engine so if you can get it to run with no big clanging/banging noises at least you know it is a mostly useable unit.

Plus its more fun and gives you confidence!

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 07:26:34 PM »
The 550 is a very reliable old bike if serviced as it should be, unfortuanatly major parts like the crank and conrods are NOT reaurable and cheapest fix is usualy another engine so if you can get it to run with no big clanging/banging noises at least you know it is a mostly useable unit.

Plus its more fun and gives you confidence!

Thanks Bryanj, that makes sense to me! Right well that's the first thing on the list then. Carbs are already out and waiting on my bench to be cleaned up. I'll start the build thread once I start on those.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 09:01:27 AM »
I have been rebuiding a f2 which was similar/worse than yours and i did start it first before stripping it down and it did run ok so decided not to completely strip the engine due to cost, but is a bit of a risk. the headers and collector box are hard to find in good condition so thats a bonus.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Online Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum eight0.
I agree with starting the engine first and especially considering it's all there. I would replace the oil first though as you don't know how long it's been standing and what nasties are in the old oil. I would just by a cheap 10/40 or 15/40 as you are only starting it to check it runs. It might be worth taking the sump pan off first as well for piece of mind and prior to start up.
Good luck.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 12:50:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum eight0.
I agree with starting the engine first and especially considering it's all there. I would replace the oil first though as you don't know how long it's been standing and what nasties are in the old oil. I would just by a cheap 10/40 or 15/40 as you are only starting it to check it runs. It might be worth taking the sump pan off first as well for piece of mind and prior to start up.
Good luck.

Thanks Laverda, Yes I'm going to drain the oil and check the filter/sump before trying to start it, hopefully it won't be shimmery! I've also got some new spark plugs and caps to give it a fighting chance. Hard bit for me is going to be making up a temporary loom to get it going.

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 03:17:02 PM »
I have similar clocks on an XS1100 Yamahahaha.

You may want to watch these videos for the tank work CLICK
Tom
'73 CB550 with CB500 engine café racer
'62 CB77 Sprinter
'70 CD175
'78 CB550 with sidecar
'80 Z50R
And a load of old Yamaha 1100's

Offline Tomb

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Tom