Author Topic: 1976 CB550F1 (what have I let myself in for) Project  (Read 31120 times)

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 1976 CB550F1 (what have I let myself in for) Project
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 12:26:11 PM »
I haven't had chance to see the bike for a while and only had time in the evenings so I've been sticking to working on the carbs.
They are cleaning up quite nicely and thanks to @Mickwinf I have a replacement no. 2 carb.

Before and after

Quick/stupid question, If I wanted to get these vapor blasted, I'd be removing all the throttle/butterfly shafts which help identify which carb body it is. Is there a way to ID each carb (1-4)? I can't see any markings on them apart from A-2 inside the float chamber. 

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
You can tell which is which by the positions of stuff like the mixture screws etc for example, if the mixture screw opening is on the right it's either 3 or 4 cylinder, left and 1 or 2 cylinder, after that you can tell which is which by the way certain stuff aligns, stuff like the blanking plugs fitted where the slide pivot pins are fitted. Study them before dismantling and you'll start to spot the differences.

As an example, your pics show 2 internal carbs as those have the vent pipe fittings, the one of the left is number 2 cylinder as it doesn't show the mixture screw opening and the blanking plug is showing. The one on the right is clearly the broken one that you replaced as it shows all the same fittings in all the same places

Ok got it, Thanks Oddjob, I've got lots of photos but I'll make notes of which side the blanking plates, mixture screw opening, slide pivot is etc too. 

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 04:49:50 PM »
The odd thing about your pic is that the float bowls don't match the carb. The one on the left does as it's drain screw faces the right direction (they face out not in so you can get to them) the one on the right is a float bowl from either 3 or 4 cylinder.

Well Spotted! I just took a pic to show what they looked like before and after the ultrasonic clean and polish, it isn't a matching bowl with that carb :)

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 04:40:16 PM »
On of the carbs was missing the needle jet (emulsion tube).

Can someone tell me if the 550K ones will fit? And if so, are the after market ones ok? I emailed these guys but they haven't responded yet. http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=4155

Cheers

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 10:39:58 PM »
Uk 550k3 has different carbs try looking up your model on cmsnl and check part numbers

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »
Thanks Bryan. Looks like the 550f models and some F2 had the same needle jet but it's different to the K models.
As I have a Canada F1 the link from nrp I posted before won't work.
https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550f1-super-sport-550-four-1976-canada_model17110/needle-setjet_16012390004/#pageproductModelfit

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 10:36:00 AM »
was there one in the spare carb i sent you? i can find you one if you are stuck.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 10:39:27 AM »
was there one in the spare carb i sent you? i can find you one if you are stuck.

There was yes, that one came out easy. One was missing from the original carbs and 2 others unfortunately got damaged when I was trying to get them out because they were so corroded in there.
That would be great Mick. I'll send you a PM.

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 08:07:28 PM »
Is anyone able to tell me the difference between these needle jets. The ones in the carbs that came with the bike have 2 smaller holes at the top end and an extra singe hole on the side. The one that came in the replacement carb Mick sent me has 5 holes the same size and no single hole..

Edit..

I read on the sister site that Hondaman suggested drilling out the holes in the emulsion tubes to make them bigger. I could drill the 2 smaller holes to match the others then drill a single hole in the side of the other jet.
Playing with fire I guess and there would be no knowing what effect it would have until I could actually ride it... That said miss matching ones would probably be worse?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 03:54:49 PM by eight0 »

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »
Carbs rebuilt and new coils and caps installed. I've ordered a thin walledI18mm socket to get plugs 2 and 3 out. Just need to find a fuse box as mine is missing.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 11:50:39 AM »
Quick update, made some good progress this weekend.
I managed to get power to all the right places, Oil pressure light came on, but wouldn't go out. Found that the pressure switch had a loose wire and was grounding out so I re-made the terminal and then after 1 kick the light now goes out.
I replaced the coils, plugs and caps, cleaned the points, set the gap and the timing, checked valve clearance and fitted the carbs.

2 kicks and it fired up! Revved really high so I killed it. Tried again and cut the choke straight away, still revving quite high but kept it running for 10 seconds or so and there are no worrying noises coming from the engine. In fact it sounded great. Think there maybe be an air leak in the boots or the bench sync was way out but I'm happy that there are no major bottom end engine issues that are immediately obvious.

I will check the compression next weekend now I've burnt off the oil on top of the pistons.

I don't have much in the way of pictures, but the view inside the sump looks clean.

And the mess of wiring

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 03:50:50 PM by eight0 »

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 06:07:12 PM »
its a great feeling when they fire up!
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 06:13:49 PM »
Good progress.... spring’s coming  8)

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 02:06:36 PM »
A bit of progress over the last 2 weeks.
Got the engine running and idling smoothly. I tried to take a video but my phone battery died before it saved! I had done the bench sync incorrectly but after re-reading the process I got it in the end. Put some vacuum gauges on them and they were pretty close.

Removed electrics - all going in the bin.
Removed the shocks and triple tree - the fork tubes are in bad condition. I'll either need to re-chrome them or source replacements.
Removed the rear wheel - one of the wheel spacers was missing and had been replaced with..... 3 Nuts!
and finally got the engine out. I layed the frame on its side and got it out that way. Was hard work by myself but I got there in the end.

The engine cosmetically is pretty bad. I'd like to re-paint it but I've read in many forums its not good to paint an assembled engine (shouldn't paint over gaskets and bolts and you can never get it fully clean).
I emailed a couple of blasting companies but they all said they wouldn't touch an assembled engine.

Leaves me with a couple of options.. Do a top end rebuild and get the head, barrels and cover blasted in the process - then do my best to clean and repaint the case assembled

Or completely strip the engine and get it done properly.

I think I'm going to do a top end anyway, I don't know the bikes mileage and I want to check the tensioner, rings and valves/guides.

Thoughts?

On a separate note, I'm not putting this bike back to stock so will be selling/passing on a few things. Any interest in the below? If there is I'll take some photos.

Exhaust headers (550F 4-1) - they would need re-chroming and are rusted onto the collecter. I could cut it off and check the condition of it if there is any interest. I think they're just a bit rusty and don't have any dents.
Controls left and right
Seat and pan
Grab rail
Headlight ears
Chain guard
indicators

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:07:32 PM by eight0 »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »
Interested in the down pipes. Could you put some pictures up ?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal