Author Topic: 1976 CB550F1 (what have I let myself in for) Project  (Read 31583 times)

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 1976 CB550F1 (what have I let myself in for) Project
« Reply #330 on: April 06, 2021, 08:52:41 PM »
Might be, but There's bits of metal in there.

Mm no not gasket seal, I used very little hondabond anyway. Those bits on my finger are metal and magnetic.   :(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:26:37 AM by eight0 »

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 07, 2021, 11:06:33 AM »
What do you think it is? I guess its hard to know. I didn't try to run it with the kick start in bits so it's not that.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 07, 2021, 11:13:48 AM »
Looks like it's broken off something (staing the obvious from me  ::) )but appears to be bent and of softer material,  that's as opposed to geabox teeth that usually chip off and retain their form.

Might be worth rinsing it and giving us a clearer picture on white paer to get a better look and see if someone can give more positive I'd.

It "looks" more like kickstart component initially and could be a bit sheared from there as it's quite a high torque right down in the centre of leverage, that's most likely to be related to what you felt when using the lever.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 07, 2021, 11:16:13 AM »
Oops, lost a pee in that "paer" up there  :)

Obvious or not,  but PAPER.

Got it that time  ;D

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 07, 2021, 11:18:57 AM »
Ha yeah got it.

Ok yes it's not the best picture. There were more smaller bits in the sump, like crumb size if that makes sense. Not loads, but as I only ran the bike for 1 min max, enough.

I'll wash as much as I can and put it on some paper and get a better picture. My fear is bearing but not sure what could cause that so quickly.

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 07, 2021, 06:37:47 PM »
The black stuff is definitely graphogen, not worried about that. I can't see any metal on the gears through the sump, they look clean.

There is a mark on the kickstart shaft and a small mark on the case on the inside which may have been caused by it when it came off.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Aside from the small bits in the earlier photo there's lots of small pieces of metal as well, not powdery sparkle but sand grain sized. Some slightly bigger and I can see they are dark on one side and shiny on the other. I did notice the kick start gear that is still in there had some shiny pieces on the teeth. I neglected to mention before I started it and was trying to get oil to the head I ran the starter for a bit whilst the kick starter was half engaged caught under the rearset, so the gear was half engaged. It wasn't noisy just tick tick tick.. That could have been what caused all the small bits of metal I guess?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:08:08 PM by eight0 »

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 08, 2021, 06:45:01 PM »
Thanks Ken.

Here's what the gear looks like, very worn. Not sure what's gone on here. I assume it's not supposed to look like that. Is there supposed to be a thrush washer between that gear and the case?

These are all the parts I had.

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 08, 2021, 06:47:26 PM »
Maype PO riding while kickstart lever was in position with engaged gear?
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 08, 2021, 06:52:27 PM »
Wellll, that might have been me as per my earlier post. Turning it over to get oil pressure the Kickstarter was slightly engaged caught under the rearset. That certainly would have caused the tooth wear.

That in turn could have caused bits of metal in the kickstart gears and then binded them causing the circlip to pop off.

I'm happy if that's the reason because it's a simple fix. Wondering if I should button it up as is, run it for a minute again, drain the oil again and check the sump to see if there's more metal.

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 12, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »
I've changed the oil and ran it again. No more metal.. must have been the kickstart (Phew). The charging is also working!

I'm still waiting on some things before I can ride it. I've ordered a dual 'airbox' which is almost like pods but nicer from  http://www.steeldragonperformance.com/air_boxes_7.html but it hasn't arrived yet. No point in trying to tune it before they arrive, and I know they don't run as well without the stock airboxes so I won't be asking for advice on Jetting or tuning on here!
I have gone up to 40 on pilot  and 110 on mains though which should put me in the ballpark before I embark on plug chops etc

I need to fabricate a plate bracket which will have to be side mounted.

I need to get the exhaust tip welded onto the reducer and the bracket mount to the pipe. Can't be riding it with it all hanging from the studs.

Aaaand I've just sent details through to footmanjames for an agreed value insurance quote.

Here's a picture just after I recently ran it, It does have the righthand foot controls on now.  I was too excited to film anything but I will post a video up soon. And yes I know the points cover is upside down.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 03:44:42 PM by eight0 »

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 12, 2021, 03:40:55 PM »
Well done 👍👍👍
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Erny

• CB750K7 CB550K1
  • SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 12, 2021, 03:45:09 PM »
I've changed the oil and ran it again. No more metal.. must have been the kickstart (Phew).

I'm still waiting on some things before I can ride it. I've ordered a dual 'airbox' which is almost like pods but nicer from  http://www.steeldragonperformance.com/air_boxes_7.html but it hasn't arrived yet. No point in trying to tune it before they arrive, and I know they don't run as well without the stock airboxes so I won't be asking for advice on Jetting or tuning on here!
I have gone up to 40 on pilot  and 110 on mains though which should put me in the ballpark before I embark on plug chops etc

I need to get the exhaust tip welded onto the reducer and the bracket mount to the pipe. Can't be riding it with it all hanging from the studs.

Aaaand I've just sent details through to footmanjames for an agreed value insurance quote.

Here's a picture just after I recently ran it, It does have the righthand foot controls on now.  I was too excited to film anything but I will post a video up soon. And yes I know the points cover is upside down.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Normally I'm not big fan of modded bikes but this one I like - very clean just bare minumim needed. Very nice!

And wondering - you cancelled rear brake?
CB750K7 US model (1977)
CB550K1 US model (1975)

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2021, 04:11:34 PM »
Bike looks really good, nice work.

I know we favour original intake generally on here, and mainly because it works so well.  But also feel that general internet advice for jetting with pods etc doesn't fully appreciate the nuances of what changes in reality and how to compensate for that error.

Worthwhile looking at this thread http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,22031.msg197883.html#msg197883 as it works through the same thing on a 750.

The ignition bias works on the basis of increased resistance but with smallest plug gap to push the spark into elongation,  which has beneficial effect on running leaner mixtures. In other words, working with the effect that pods give instead of simply throwing more fuel at it.

Offline eight0

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2021, 04:47:50 PM »
Thanks for the love.

Interesting points K2-K6.

I'm under no illusions its just going to ride great off the bat. I'll see how it goes and look at experimenting with increased resistance down the line.
The F1 also has the 2 smaller holes at the bottom of the emulsion tube, which I assume was due to the 4-1, not sure if that would help or make things worse.

Anyway as I said, I don't want to get into a deep tuning debate on here. I've seen what happens to people (I jest)  ;D

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 12, 2021, 08:48:56 PM »
I've changed the oil and ran it again. No more metal.. must have been the kickstart (Phew). The charging is also working!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Thats looking really nice! Great build
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal