Author Topic: 1976 CB550F1 (what have I let myself in for) Project  (Read 369 times)

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: 1976 CB550F1 (what have I let myself in for) Project
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 04:16:14 PM »
i can supply a used float and pin with the carb body so no worries!
Love the 500/4 and 550 own 2 at the moment.

Offline eight0

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 12:26:11 PM »
I haven't had chance to see the bike for a while and only had time in the evenings so I've been sticking to working on the carbs.
They are cleaning up quite nicely and thanks to @Mickwinf I have a replacement no. 2 carb.

Before and after

Quick/stupid question, If I wanted to get these vapor blasted, I'd be removing all the throttle/butterfly shafts which help identify which carb body it is. Is there a way to ID each carb (1-4)? I can't see any markings on them apart from A-2 inside the float chamber. 

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 01:02:59 PM »
You can tell which is which by the positions of stuff like the mixture screws etc for example, if the mixture screw opening is on the right it's either 3 or 4 cylinder, left and 1 or 2 cylinder, after that you can tell which is which by the way certain stuff aligns, stuff like the blanking plugs fitted where the slide pivot pins are fitted. Study them before dismantling and you'll start to spot the differences.

As an example, your pics show 2 internal carbs as those have the vent pipe fittings, the one of the left is number 2 cylinder as it doesn't show the mixture screw opening and the blanking plug is showing. The one on the right is clearly the broken one that you replaced as it shows all the same fittings in all the same places
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:06:43 PM by Oddjob »
Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it

Offline eight0

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
You can tell which is which by the positions of stuff like the mixture screws etc for example, if the mixture screw opening is on the right it's either 3 or 4 cylinder, left and 1 or 2 cylinder, after that you can tell which is which by the way certain stuff aligns, stuff like the blanking plugs fitted where the slide pivot pins are fitted. Study them before dismantling and you'll start to spot the differences.

As an example, your pics show 2 internal carbs as those have the vent pipe fittings, the one of the left is number 2 cylinder as it doesn't show the mixture screw opening and the blanking plug is showing. The one on the right is clearly the broken one that you replaced as it shows all the same fittings in all the same places

Ok got it, Thanks Oddjob, I've got lots of photos but I'll make notes of which side the blanking plates, mixture screw opening, slide pivot is etc too. 

Offline Oddjob

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »
The odd thing about your pic is that the float bowls don't match the carb. The one on the left does as it's drain screw faces the right direction (they face out not in so you can get to them) the one on the right is a float bowl from either 3 or 4 cylinder.
Don't play stupid with me, I'm better at it

Offline eight0

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 04:49:50 PM »
The odd thing about your pic is that the float bowls don't match the carb. The one on the left does as it's drain screw faces the right direction (they face out not in so you can get to them) the one on the right is a float bowl from either 3 or 4 cylinder.

Well Spotted! I just took a pic to show what they looked like before and after the ultrasonic clean and polish, it isn't a matching bowl with that carb :)