Author Topic: Mystery - Gutless 400 four  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Northy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery - Gutless 400 four
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 05:06:12 PM »
OK  the bike runs , quick trip the road and seems to pulling fine .....until i could smell petrol ....flooding carb.

It too dark and cold for a proper test run and  Carbs will have to wait till tomorrow , one of them needs a quick tap !

Sounds better already and no smoke on start up .....full run tomorrow.

Question ?   the two dowty washers on the head , why are they there ? why not have just plain copper washers?. Its can't be to stop oil leaks  as other studs are exposed to the elements.

The reason why I had domed head around these washers fit is the metal bit of the washer is too big , so the nut pushes on the outside bit and not the centre where the rubber is = dome. The previous ham fisted muppet that has worked on this engine has over tighten them. Also stripped 2 studs holding the rocker box down. ;-)   
How many is too many bikes ..... when you have no space left.

Offline Northy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2018, 03:40:12 PM »
Can report is cold out there  and bike is running spot on now, pulls in top way better and is smooth as it should be.  :)

Offline Clem2112

• Midlife
  • SOHC Expert
  • CB400F1 1976 R1200GS 2016 Matchless G80 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2018, 11:22:14 PM »
Good result then.
I guess you'll be checking that the plug colour is even across all four now?

Will be getting the head off and investigating the valves/seats in the new year.

Offline Northy

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 08:41:15 PM »
Yes , already done a quick check but needs a good run, then change oil/filter .....started it up today the cam chain rattling a bit more that yesterday .....Just too cold for spannering at present (well its is my garage) ;-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal