Author Topic: Hideous Modifications From Your Past  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Hideous Modifications From Your Past
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 05:44:52 AM »
That's right.
But very few had them fitted. They definitely sounded best on the 500/4.

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 07:00:53 AM »
I modified my CB160 and fitted one of those hideous elasticated, reflective orange Honda headlight covers.

One of these

Ahhh yes, the good old orange plastic headlight cover - had one of those too, but mine was 'Yamaha', how cool were we....... :-\

1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2018, 08:38:48 AM »
Weren't they just great, cheap accessories, fit and forget or plug and play before the term had been invented 👍. Not only did they save my 17 year old life on many occasions (car drivers were too busy pointing and laughing at me to bother pulling out) but I also found when I got the CB160 up to it's theoretical 125mph chip shop top speed they kept the dead flies off the headlight glass 🙄.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2018, 09:42:38 AM »
I’d forgotten all about the horror of the orange elasticated headlamp cover, but the moment I saw the photos I got a flashback to my T100 cafe racer wearing such a thing with ‘Triumph’ on it.

Given the efforts of Joe Lucas, Prince of Darkness, having my lights on all the time was not an option, so it could be argued that the cover was a genuine safety feature, not so sure about them on a Honda, which had decent electrics as standard.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »
OMG is that a chin cup, forgot all about those things, good job everyone looked an idiot or we'd have really looked stupid. Like the full visor that clipped to an open face helmet but didn't flip up, OMG how did I not die  :)

I had a bubble type visor that did flip up on an open face helmet, but if you lifted it just a little bit at any speed at all it flipped up all the way and nearly ripped your head off!
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 12:52:53 PM »
This wasn't my 70's masterpiece, but I do have the side panels and tailpiece for spares....

1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 01:39:58 PM »
That should be "St Joseph Lucas Lucas Prince of Darkness and his Intermittent Electron"

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 09:14:42 PM »
My 500/4 sported a triumph rocket 3 Raygun silencer welded to a bsm exhaust collector when I got it, my dad heard the bike being delivered, had time to walk 250 yards from his stables back to the house, tell me he thought he could hear my new bike on it's way, then I had time to walk up to the yard and get a look across the valley to see my new wheels pass across the valley. At work they could hear me about half a mile off and that was in town, competing with all the other traffic. I fitted a laser exhaust system that basically had no baffles to make it quieter eventually. Once shes back on the road I am going back to the dragon setup, it never ran so well as with that exhaust and a k&n filter that retained the original phelenem chamber etc. Used to spin the rear wheel up on every corner if you gave it the beans.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »
I was proud of this ....... but those were different times :)

Z650B .... Gpz750 motor, which ended up with a Honda cb750 ignition cover, as the original had been smashed. Purchased from a breakers. I couldn;t afford the Harris pipe I craved...so the Motad got chopped, welded, and gutted. Sounded...er....interesting. Dresda swing arm, which was meant for a disc rear end so lacked the correct torque arm mount. Something I sorted later...once I had replaced the broken rear brake which had sheared the torque arm mount clean off. I discovered you can't bodge up brake torque arm mounts.....
The side panels were missing...but I grafted on a pair of GSX400F items I had lying around....which looked OK. Belly-pan was the bottom half of a Gpz600R fairing.
Paint was the result of too much clubbing. White primer base, with a crazy paving pattern in flourescent green, blue and yellow. The picture does not capture the glare...Top it off with some MX bars....and I was ready for anything.

CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2018, 02:28:26 PM »

Z650B .... Gpz750 motor, which ended up with a Honda cb750 ignition cover, as the original had been smashed. Purchased from a breakers. I couldn;t afford the Harris pipe I craved...so the Motad got chopped, welded, and gutted. Sounded...er....interesting. Dresda swing arm, which was meant for a disc rear end so lacked the correct torque arm mount. Something I sorted later...once I had replaced the broken rear brake which had sheared the torque arm mount clean off. I discovered you can't bodge up brake torque arm mounts.....
The side panels were missing...but I grafted on a pair of GSX400F items I had lying around....which looked OK. Belly-pan was the bottom half of a Gpz600R fairing.
Paint was the result of too much clubbing. White primer base, with a crazy paving pattern in flourescent green, blue and yellow. The picture does not capture the glare...Top it off with some MX bars....and I was ready for anything.

OK- You win!!!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2018, 05:22:51 PM »

Looks like a Brazilian carnival float !!
1971 cb750 K1

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2018, 08:12:04 PM »
And there was me thinking the white wheels and matt black brush painted exhaust were coming back in ....
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal