Author Topic: Hideous Modifications From Your Past  (Read 2391 times)

Offline MrDavo

• SOHC Master
  • He who dies with the most toys wins
    • View Profile
Re: Hideous Modifications From Your Past
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 03:29:43 PM »
I don't know what make this (straight through) 4 into 1 was, but my mum reckoned she could hear me setting off when I left my girlfriend's house over a mile away. K2 front end not too clever either, but I was oblivious in those days to such niceties. The Bell sticker covered a dent, I think.

Said girlfriend later dumped me after I clipped an oncoming Volvo, and then asked her if my exhaust was OK, forgetting about her now damaged foot.

I later had a Triumph T140V with home made aluminium pillion footrest brackets  ::) , I was genuinely surprised when one snapped off, clearly I wasn't up for the young metallurgist of the year award.
1969 Honda CL450 'Scrambler'
1974 Kawasaki Z1A
2005 Harley XL1200R Sportster
1985 Porsche 911 3.2 Carrera Sport
1978 VW Bay Window camper van

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 03:50:34 PM »
Those look like megaphone flares too Ash! ;)

Not my flares...  the Mrs's... do you remember Croft Motors Tim ...Derbyshire I think.

To be honest never heard of them. Is that where picure was taken as it is just a knees down shot on my tablet?

One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....

Offline Sgt.Pinback

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »
My first K0
cheers, Uli

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 04:54:16 PM »
Those look like megaphone flares too Ash! ;)

Not my flares...  the Mrs's... do you remember Croft Motors Tim ...Derbyshire I think.

To be honest never heard of them. Is that where picure was taken as it is just a knees down shot on my tablet?

I chopped the photo  deliberately 'cos its been on here too many times before Tim but here goes. You have a knees up know.  ;D

“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 05:39:21 PM »
I don't know what make this (straight through) 4 into 1 was, but my mum reckoned she could hear me setting off when I left my girlfriend's house over a mile away. K2 front end not too clever either, but I was oblivious in those days to such niceties. The Bell sticker covered a dent, I think.

Said girlfriend later dumped me after I clipped an oncoming Volvo, and then asked her if my exhaust was OK, forgetting about her now damaged foot.

I later had a Triumph T140V with home made aluminium pillion footrest brackets  ::) , I was genuinely surprised when one snapped off, clearly I wasn't up for the young metallurgist of the year award.

Looks the same as the one on my avatar bike...a  race 1 from hadleigh custom.. they got told to stop selling them as they were to loud...
And yes my mate .can here me get home on it and he lives about half a mile away

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 05:45:18 PM »
Bad pic but looks similar

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 05:46:04 PM »
I modified my CB160 and fitted one of those hideous elasticated, reflective orange Honda headlight covers. I also fitted a huge top box complete with stickers of bikes I didn't own and fitted indicators. To add to my new found 'coolness' I modified my hairstyle a few weeks after this photo was taken with the addition of a perm.....
Neither 'modification' lasted for long and I reverted back to standard... 🤔

One of these

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 05:54:40 PM »

Had a Piper 2:1 on my CD 175 with similar megaphone. Got pulled one day at midnight coming home for making excessive noise! Had actually been to see  a Shakespeare  play. Dressed in tasselled leather jacket etc., dont think plod believed me! >: :-\

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 06:45:00 PM »

Had a Piper 2:1 on my CD 175 with similar megaphone. Got pulled one day at midnight coming home for making excessive noise! Had actually been to see  a Shakespeare  play. Dressed in tasselled leather jacket etc., dont think plod believed me! >: :-\

Tim ...  a policeman in Bakewell told me he remembered a hooligan blasting around Derbyshire on a Honda with ear deafening exhausts ... I said "Alas ... poor Roza I know him well"  ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Rozabikes Tim

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 07:31:21 PM »
Love it. I did say to him it was "much ado about nothin" :-\

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 09:24:35 PM »
Try one of the original Marvin 4 into 1 on a 500 with the rudimentary baffle removed----my mate live 4 mile down the main road and heard me start to go to work!!!!!

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 09:32:59 PM »
Ah, funny you should mention Marvin pipes.
My current 750k1 project will be fitted with a original unbaffled Marvin! With bell mouths. So it should howl a bit.
Sean.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 09:46:21 PM »
The "baffle" was a pice of pipe swaged to fit over the exhaust with an allen bolt vertical into captive nut to hold it on, inside  welded to the end and sticking down the exhaust was a piece of approx 1 1/2 inch thinwall pipe inner end blanked and lots of 3/8 holes drilled all along, no absorbtion material at all but it did stop plod sticking his truncheon up the end!!
Ah, funny you should mention Marvin pipes.
My current 750k1 project will be fitted with a original unbaffled Marvin! With bell mouths. So it should howl a bit.
Sean.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 05:44:52 AM »
That's right.
But very few had them fitted. They definitely sounded best on the 500/4.

Offline Andrew-S

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 07:00:53 AM »
I modified my CB160 and fitted one of those hideous elasticated, reflective orange Honda headlight covers.

One of these

Ahhh yes, the good old orange plastic headlight cover - had one of those too, but mine was 'Yamaha', how cool were we....... :-\

1972 UK XL250 K0 Motosport
1976 UK Z900 A4
2018 BMW R1200 GS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal