Author Topic: New hip  (Read 2210 times)

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: New hip
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »
Day 2 first thanks for all the good wishes All last night not a wink of sleep the pain in my lower leg not the area of the op was, was terrible. Physio came this morning to get me up and walking. Everything fantastic to cries of well done that was really great. Then they sat me down. Two minutes later I passed out and pissed myself and then threw up. I really must try and stop all this attention seeking. The afternoon was the same only throwing up after taking the strong painkillers.

Hang in there mate - have to say reading this post had me laughing out loud (and wincing)...love that you're managing to keep a sense of humour. Physio is the key to recovery so I'm told...

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »
Every new day it gets better.. apparently the passing out, peeing and vomiting is popular... some a left over from the General Anaesthetic, some an intolerance to the pain meds... so dont feel bad.
Luckily I didnt have any of those issues.. I did have a catheter for the first 24hrs though.... very strange feeling..
What is it with the epidural route??? The Anaesthetist asked me if I wanted one rather than the General... No way I was going to listen to them cut and hammer on my knee.. they did say you dont remember any of it but I needed the sleep :)
Besides... I had watched several youtube versions of my knee operation.. no way I wanted to be awake while that shit was going down...lol
Physio is the key to recovery.... hopefully you are feeling better and just like when you are on the bike... remain upright, inadvertently horizontal isnt good :)
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 03:52:57 PM »
Day 3 A much better day today started with the zimmer but that wasnt fast enough. So i am now on crutches and have been up and down the stair. Hopefully home tomorrow. The only downside is a rash starting unde the dressing.
I had it done under epidural. Just after going into theatre I burst out laughing and they looked and said what’s so funny. I had just seen my foot swinging in a lovely graceful arc that no 63 year old bloke should ever see.  No wonder it hurts later on. Unless it was a spare, just in case. Then I fell asleep but awoke again for all the banging going on, maybe he makes cabinets on the side then back to sleep and awoke when the staples were going in. Amazingly no pain whatsoever from any part during the actual op. Even the epidural going in didn’t hurt, it just felt very strange.  ;D

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 04:22:37 PM »
Day 3 A much better day today started with the zimmer but that wasnt fast enough. So i am now on crutches and have been up and down the stair. Hopefully home tomorrow. The only downside is a rash starting unde the dressing.
I had it done under epidural. Just after going into theatre I burst out laughing and they looked and said what’s so funny. I had just seen my foot swinging in a lovely graceful arc that no 63 year old bloke should ever see.  No wonder it hurts later on. Unless it was a spare, just in case. Then I fell asleep but awoke again for all the banging going on, maybe he makes cabinets on the side then back to sleep and awoke when the staples were going in. Amazingly no pain whatsoever from any part during the actual op. Even the epidural going in didn’t hurt, it just felt very strange.  ;D

Great that you sound like your getting better, after the foot in the air quote I think that I'll go for the knockout route, I remember having my knee sorted out and and a gorgeous girl talking me back into the land of living after the op, it was a really wonderful experience, especially so after worrying for weeks about being put under for the first time.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Andych

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 09:39:41 PM »

And that is exactly the reason I didnt want the epidural.. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Yes.. the zimmer just didnt cut it with me.. crutches were much easier. The rash under the dressing (waterproof one I assume) is quite common these days.. be careful it doesnt change to a blister.. I had a couple of those and they hurt more than the wound.
Staples.. I was lucky in that I didnt have any staples and all the stitches were under the skin.. my surgeon used a relatively new dressing that they put on and then coat it with a glue.. kind of like laying in resin to fibreglass matt.
Keep up the good work and make sure you keep doing the exercises.. it does make a big difference.
1975 CB400 - Project
1978 Yamaha SRX250 - Project

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2018, 06:09:30 PM »
Day 4 Home. After the amount of pain I had Sunday night and the passing /pissing out Monday morning I was wondering if I had made the wrong choice. Since Tuesday the progress and drop in pain has been incredible from barely able to shuffle to doing a flight of stairs now without much fuss. Things will only get better.

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2018, 07:10:40 PM »
 ;D ;D Great news keep it up
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2018, 07:10:56 PM »
Well done Moorey, onwards and upwards now.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2018, 07:19:55 PM »
Great news keep it up

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
Great news. On the 6th day of physio they make you kick start a 750 triumph twin with 14:1 pistons.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 10:46:09 PM »
Great news. On the 6th day of physio they make you kick start a 750 triumph twin with 14:1 pistons.

If it carries on getting better at the rate it is, it will be a piece of piss. :D ;)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2018, 03:37:59 PM »

If it carries on getting better at the rate it is, it will be a piece of piss. :D ;)

Day 6 I think the kicking over a Triumph is still beyond me, but I can quite happily get about the house with just one crutch now. extended walks around the park require two. So I think they should be quite pleased with me by the time I have the staples out in a weeks time. :)

Offline heliwilly

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »
Well done, I had my first hip done 11 years ago at 65, and my second 6 years ago. Epidural and General  anaesthetic. Had both ops at approx. 7pm on a Thursday, and was eating lunch at home on the Saturday. The NHS care was fantastic and the surgical team brilliant on both occasions. Only ever use sticks. There was very little discomfort. When I discarded my last stick after 2 weeks, it felt great. The more I walked, the better it got. Now I can't tell the difference between my old hip joint and my new ceramic ones. I am back to as I was as a 20 year old, movement wise. Stick with it and as you have found out it gets better on a daily basis.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
Day 4 Home. After the amount of pain I had Sunday night and the passing /pissing out Monday morning I was wondering if I had made the wrong choice. Since Tuesday the progress and drop in pain has been incredible from barely able to shuffle to doing a flight of stairs now without much fuss. Things will only get better.

well done,keep working at it,your over the worst bits,

my hip was 1 year old on the 20th,and its great,not grate !!!!!

makes riding so much easier,and getting your leg over !!!
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2018, 12:05:12 AM »

well done,keep working at it,your over the worst bits,

my hip was 1 year old on the 20th,and its great,not grate !!!!!

makes riding so much easier,and getting your leg over !!!

That's what i'm looking forward to, getting my leg over easier and been able to get my feet on the rests without pain.
It's just 2 weeks now, the staples came out  yesterday now just using a stick and went for a walk around the park today. Steadily.  Happy with the progress.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal