Author Topic: Rear foot pegs  (Read 1231 times)

Offline AussieKC

• View Profile
Rear foot pegs
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:03:59 PM »
Hi Guys
Can someone please help with a couple of photos. I'm well under way with a 400/4 resto and have hit another minor snag. The numbnuts that had the bike before did a single seat conversion for cheaper rego, which was the normal in queensland in the 90's. Could some kind person please post a couple of photos of the left and right rear foot peg mounts so that I can get my welding guy to fabricate new brackets.

Thank guys and merry xmas and great new year to all.

Offline Deano400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Rear foot pegs
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:52:57 PM »
Swing arm or frame mounted?

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:20:52 PM »
Earlier models had their pegs on the swinging arm, the F2 version I have are frame mounted. I think the diagrams on this webpage could be very useful to you.. https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb400f-australia_model14644/partslist/#.XA7ml3T7SUk
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline rockvegas400

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 10:38:51 PM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
'75 CB400F
'88 VFR750F

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 05:45:42 PM »
The hi-larious swing arm mounting!  Why?!?

Anyway, as I understand it, the USA bikes maintained that "feature" for the duration (my '77 has them).  Not sure about the Aussie models...

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 12:47:49 PM »
...the frame hoops versus swing arm footrests...  My parts manual specifies the F2 with frame hoops specific to E, ED, F, G, S markets only. (Ie England, Europe Direct Sales, France, Germany & Sweden. All other markets maintained the swing arm mounted footrests throughout the 400F’s production - including Oz. Certainly my American ‘77 F2 has swing arm footrests.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 10:37:43 PM »
...the frame hoops versus swing arm footrests...  My parts manual specifies the F2 with frame hoops specific to E, ED, F, G, S markets only. (Ie England, Europe Direct Sales, France, Germany & Sweden. All other markets maintained the swing arm mounted footrests throughout the 400F’s production - including Oz. Certainly my American ‘77 F2 has swing arm footrests.

Lobo, where did you get that parts manual?  I'm looking for better sources of information about what parts fit which models... specifically "our" USA '77 model...

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 12:00:22 PM »
Hi mattsz,

I can’t rememver where I ‘found’ the parts manual.... other than a freebie off the internet which I downloaded onto my iPad. Sadly, over the years I’ve ‘written’ to this file.... as a way of keeping track which parts have been swapped out / workshop commends etc - ie I can’t really copy it you.  But... it simply appears to be the OEM CB400F Parts manual... about 52 pages of exploded parts diagrams and thence pages of part numbers.
It’s dated mid 70s.

Anyone recognise the publication / able to help?

Simon

mattsz - have just PMd you....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 12:10:23 PM by Lobo »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 03:46:05 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 11:33:58 PM »
Thanks Ash!  I've got those already; Lobo's version is different and seems to have more information about the different models.  The "general" one I have, like yours, doesn't have any part numbers for bits that are exclusive to my model.

AussieKC, sorry if I derailed your thread...

Offline Lobo

• Lobo
  • SOHC Master
  • Lobo
    • View Profile
    • Lobo
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 01:51:49 AM »
AussieKC - you sorted? As a starter for 10 I went onto eBay and searched “CB400F swing arm” and got the below. It might help? (Not suggesting you buy ‘em, but often you’ll see multiple offers from multiple angles...)

PS - if you’re anywhere near Jacobs Well (yea, I know QLD’s a big place) feel free to swing by and take measurements off my 400)

Simon
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:53:35 AM by Lobo »

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »
Thanks Ash!  I've got those already; Lobo's version is different and seems to have more information about the different models.  The "general" one I have, like yours, doesn't have any part numbers for bits that are exclusive to my model.

AussieKC, sorry if I derailed your thread...

I think the one you mean is like the paper version I bought in about 1980 from Mocheck and was updated in 1977. Sadly, my copy of that is so tatty it wouldn't scan , so if anyone has one to scan then I will add it to the files.
This site gives no better parts book for the 400/4 but is invaluable for other models, as unlike CMS you get the whole michrofiche as Honda did it not a 'CMS'ised version. Bit hard to read sometimes but brlliant ...only place I could find a detailed parts manual for CB250K4 and CD125A sloper online.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline mattsz

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 10:04:59 AM »
Ash - that site does have individual model information... but it's very difficult to read and I haven't yet sorted out how to easily obtain part numbers from the diagrams.

But here's a downloadable PDF copy of the book Lobo has, in three parts, see if you'd like to add it to your collection?  It looks similar to the one from your link.  I plan to combine it into one file, if you want I could do that and make it available to you for your collection...

http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_parts_list/pdf_spac400/CB400_1.pdf
http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_parts_list/pdf_spac400/CB400_2.pdf
http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_parts_list/pdf_spac400/CB400_3.pdf

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 12:52:22 PM »
Ash - that site does have individual model information... but it's very difficult to read and I haven't yet sorted out how to easily obtain part numbers from the diagrams.

But here's a downloadable PDF copy of the book Lobo has, in three parts, see if you'd like to add it to your collection?  It looks similar to the one from your link.  I plan to combine it into one file, if you want I could do that and make it available to you for your collection...

http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_parts_list/pdf_spac400/CB400_1.pdf
http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_parts_list/pdf_spac400/CB400_2.pdf
http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_parts_list/pdf_spac400/CB400_3.pdf

Great ..Cheers ..no worries I can combine when I am back in the office next week.

Offline AussieKC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 08:41:47 PM »
Hi Guys, you're all the best. Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I've been busier than a one legged man in an arse kicking contest.
Yep, all the aussie 400s had the rear footpegs mounted on the swingarm. My DS (doodle squeezer) complained all the time, reckoned it ruined her shoes.
The frame goes off for painting this week so it's time to get serious.
Thank again all

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal