Author Topic: battery  (Read 2192 times)

Offline clive

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
battery
« on: May 25, 2008, 08:05:28 PM »
right chaps, mi battery has given up, so as a replacement i was thinking about a gel one can any body give any advice about them? :-\
cb500/4, 535 virago, sunny south yorkshire, apart from floods, earthquakes

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: battery
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 08:54:34 PM »
Seen them on ebay. My dad has a bmw with a gel battery he fitted a few years back, it's smaller than stock so free's up room or you can opt for same size and more power in reserve.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

uncannyjack

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:25:17 AM »
Hi all,

My battery has given up too, has anyone tried this BMW solution that was suggested? Any links to the correct battery?

Thanks!

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:55:46 PM »
No experience of a Gel one. I'm using a standard lead acid one but I look after it with an Optimate.

Used it on several bikes and works a treat in keeping them in top condition.

I regularly test the kick start though, just in case. Works fine. :)
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 06:10:37 PM »
I've yet to get a gel battery thats a good fit in the 550's battery space, plenty will fit and leave room to spare, and on paper be same / higher speck. It's just easyer for me to stick a car battery in the sidecar but the gel battery in dads bmw has outlived it's previous lead acid equivalent and not failed despite being on a bike that lives outside without maintenence all winter.............. There are lots of suppliers out there online, I'd expect one thats a close fit for the cb550 for
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal