SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

500 lives again

(1/7) > >>

masonmart:
I bought a project bike  to keep me busy in retirement but, as a complete numpty, I bought the worst possible bike to restore, a big bore 605cc engine in a Dresda lightweight frame which had obviously been binned with damaged casings, bent forks, etc. A completely non-standard bike with mainly no parts available. I had wonderful help from Dave and Russell at Dresda but I abandoned it once the cost had flown past £8k, accelerating and with no end in sight. At that time it looked good but I'd rebuilt the engine and there were things I wasn't sure I'd done OK. I couldn't get the right shell bearing sizes and this may have caused the engine to be hard to turn over, the clutch rod had snapped and it was hard to operate which I think was just heavy springs. I may have also put the wrong O-ring seals on the cylinder studs on the basis that they were all that was left in the kit rather than the correct ones. I've decided to try to finish it now with help from Dresda on the basis of the challenge and that it could also be a tasty bike in the end and pretty special.

The bike has inherent worth in parts especially the Dresda frame, big bore engine, beautiful wheels, new clocks, etc., that is cut my losses and get as much value as I can from the bits at a loss of maybe £4k The other options are to keep on going as a project and get it good which means the current £8k plus maybe £2k to finish it and then what? The other option is to just have it as a permanent project and get nothing back from it. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Bryanj:
As they say on mastermind "youve started so you should finish" no project ever returns what it cost so you might as well enjoy it

Moorey:
Onwards at the very least you will have something special at the end. Most projects tend to cost far more than is first thought.

Nurse Julie:
You need to make sure the engine is built correctly and fit for purpose if you decide to carry on. What else would you do with your days........I would see it through to the bitter end.

Johnwebley:
We mostly do this for fun.
We know the cost can be horrific. My little 125 YAM cost over  £4k.
So carry on.
When restoring old bikes.the best way to become a millionaire.

Is start with  2 million. And you will soon be down to one

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version