Author Topic: Duff info on electronic reg/rec?  (Read 672 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Duff info on electronic reg/rec?
« on: December 19, 2018, 09:45:30 PM »
Hi all, i have been moonlighting and reading(and answering) on the US board and a subject that has come up relatively frequently is using an electronic reg/rec replacement.
Now they seem to have got the idea that fitting one of these will charge the battery better at low revs but i don't think so for the following reason:-
When battery voltage is low the original reg puts all available battery voltage to the field coil and as the battery voltage increases reduces the voltage to the field or cuts it off so unless the electronic unit can magic power from nowhere how can it improve on all available battery volts?

Is my logic suspect?

Am i more senile than i thought?

OR do our American cousins not understand the laws of physics, or possibly they do have power available from nowhere.

Am i correct or blowing smoke chaps?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 09:47:12 PM by Bryanj »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Duff info on electronic reg/rec?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 09:49:14 PM »
I do appreciate that the electronic unit will give a "smoother" charge rate as the field voltage is infinitely adjustale and not just on, off or about 1/2

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 04:13:00 AM »
The original set up is perfectly adequate, there's no need to have an infinitly variable output to the field coils.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:55:59 PM »
I have an electrex world reg/Rec on my 350, but only because the original equipment started to fail, i know this as i monitor the outputs, but i have noticed there is better charging at lower engine speeds, on the other hand i had 3 Reg/recs from M&P that were not even as good as the original equipment before i got my money back and paid a premium to electrex world, so there is some weight to this but only if you buy premium quality parts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal