Author Topic: New Member  (Read 4390 times)

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: New Member
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 07:18:40 AM »
Thanks all for your comments. I think I need to take the whole process slowly and not rush into things.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 09:00:15 AM »
I am a 500/4 owner as opposed to the 400 but they are similar bikes and a good one is a very reliable machine. Just be careful buying. They are relatively easy to fix too. One with a good engine is the key, the engines run fairly well even in appalling condition so any faults like a bit of an oil leak, need very careful consideration. Look at a few good examples, to see how they should sound and run. If you see red or see though gasket sealant squished out around engine cases look for another bike unless it's very cheap. My first one of these bikes came as a pile of mouldy cogs in a box plus loose bits that roughly added up to a bike, it was a good way to learn how a bike works. It was at least a cheap bike as cosmetically challenged spares regected by restorers are easy to come by if you are happy to wait.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 10:34:52 AM »
Thank you matthewmosse. With regards to getting a bike with a good engine, should I worry about one with higher mileage, say 40-50 thousand miles on it? Also I have seen some that are U.S. imports. Does that cause any issues maybe with getting insurance etc?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 10:40:47 AM »
High mileage is not a problem as long as the bike has been serviced properly at the correct intervals(1500 miles) US imports are fine to insure and run but if you buy an unregistered import it MUST have a "Nova" certificate. Having said that the yanks were not always too meticulous on servicing and have a habit of "modifying" things when they do not want to pay for Honda parts.

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2018, 11:07:48 AM »
Being an amateur I think I might steer clear of the U.S ones then!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2018, 11:51:17 AM »
Didn't want to put you off, i have done "several" US imports but all before the Nova system came in. All bar one were very easy to get running and registered(needed MOT then) and the awkward one was not too bad really, i spend time on the US board as well and some of the questions asked, along with the reaction to knowledgeable answers, leave me speachless so i know they just do not understand the bikes.
You will hear of Dave Silver, if not already, and he has had repro parts made for all the fours but partivularly the 400 and he did do a lot of them up, he may even have some sale ones left i haven't checked for some time, they were pricey but in good order and of course with a short warantee as he is a dealer.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2018, 12:09:07 PM »
As Bryan says, higher mileage not a problem if been well maintained but at around 50,000 miles, many parts are beginning to wear out so may need replacing anyway. This includes cam chain, cam chain tensioner, blade and guide, primary chain etc which is a full engine strip and rebuild job with all the associated parts that go with it, such as all engine oil seals, gaskets etc.
Edit....i should have mentioned that even if an engine has done a lot less miles, if it's been thrashed, which is what the CB400/4 was designed for, and not looked after mechanically, the internals could be knackered at a lot lower mileage. Thus also goes for all the other parts on the bike also.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 12:18:56 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2018, 12:23:01 PM »
Hi Bryanj, I did email Dave Silvers as I had read about the bikes he had restored and with its warranty ( as I’m not very mechanically minded ) seemed ideal for me but they have no plans to restore any at the moment as they are concentrating on U.S. imports. Shame as it sounded ideal for my situation.
Thanks Julie, I would be way out of my depth trying to rebuild an engine. I did wonder if things my start wearing by that sort of mileage.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2018, 12:39:30 PM »
As you are in Crowthorne, why not have a word with the guys at Hatfields. I haven’t been in a while, but they used to have an interest in old bikes.

I’m only 5 miles up the road. If you’d like to come and see my (ex James US import) 500 let me know.

Steve (Wokingham)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2018, 01:28:48 PM »
Thanks Steve that’s a good idea about Hatfield’s. I would like to come and have a look at your bike, maybe we could organise something in the New Year.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2018, 03:53:40 PM »
Welcome to the forum Bradders.

Worth a chat with the people at Hatfields Crowthorne to get their perspective. A friend and his son have both been recent customers there with contemporary Honda bikes but say it's a very classic type dealer, it'll at least give you a local pointer if they are interested.

It's a long time since I've been in there but they were my local bicycle shop prior to motorcycling  :) they've always been pretty practical and friendly.  I grew up in Sandhurst just a couple of miles away.

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2018, 04:42:02 PM »
Thanks K2-K6. I’ve never been into Hatfield’s even though I’ve lived in Crowthorne for the last 18 years. I will certainly pop in there for a chat.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2018, 11:34:34 PM »
I will second the comment on how it's being looked after being far more important than the mileage. I have had cb550's that have a very credible 35k on the clock, totally fitted with the rest of the wear on the bike and the story of the seller, engine was totally written off internally, I mean, nothing worth re using apart from possibly the cases and some bolts, my cb500 went round the clock twice on the original engine before it had gearbox issues. One previous owner with a vat of gasket compound and a penchant for bodgery is enough to do severe damage in a couple of miles. Look at a few good ones, get a feel for how smooth it should sound. Be sure what you buy either sounds that smooth or is cheap enough to afford a pro rebuild / drop a spare engine in. A good sign is if the bikes got a few old mot certificates and they show it has done some miles between mots. If the engines got issues these generally manifest with leaks or rattles if the bikes getting used. I wouldn't be put off by a USA bike,
I have had a few import engines from there in my bikes, a lot less corrosion. Look out for wiring differences, just verify indicators are not permanently on and flash off when indicating or anything like that. A lot of us imports seem to be really low mileage according to the company I used to get spares from who imported bikes to UK to sell and break.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bradders

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2018, 09:13:01 AM »
Thanks matthewmosse for your advice. Sounds like a bit of a minefield out there! I think I need to be very careful about what I buy.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2018, 10:25:47 AM »
Don’t be scared of a US import... you can easily pick one up with low milage, more or less complete with very little corrosion.... I picked a 750 last year, it has very low miles, runs perfectly with no work required to the engine other than a check of the valve clearances, oil pump screen replacement.. most of the chrome and paint work is good...all of the cables and hoses needed replacing but all in all a very easy restoration. Avoid one that has obviously been left outside for decades with very bleached paint... good luck with your search

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal