Author Topic: Flasher relay  (Read 3234 times)

Offline 350ducati

• View Profile
Flasher relay
« on: May 25, 2008, 03:19:26 PM »
Would someone be kind enough to tell me where i can get a replacement?

David silver only does US ones? i don't know what the difference is.

I'm getting N/S indicators but not O/S.

I don't know if its possible to fix it? when i select O/S indicators inside the relay its not "alternating" just holding it against the electro magnet? and just sparking across the other contact.

Electrics aren't my strong point but i thought id have a look!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Flasher relay
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 04:41:16 PM »
If one side is working and the other not its not a relay problem its EITHER wrong bulb wattage OR bad earth contact.

You can fit any relay that is for 2 x 21 watt + 1 x 3 watt, go to halfords and get the cheapest car elactronic one you can and that should work, or any bike dealer that uses Hi-Level as a supplier

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 05:19:50 PM »
As Bryan says, there's only one relay, so if one side works and the other not, it's something else so don't waste your money on a new one!

The relay works on the basis that the load (current) generated by the bulbs causes the bi-metal strip to heat and bend, breaking the contact. The strip cools and bends back, remaking the contact. Pretty basic stuff compared to modern ECU-controlled bikes!

If the load is not high enough, the strip will not heat enough to bend and the flasher won't flash. This could be caused by a blown bulb or a bad connection. The latter is more often than not the case. Check the green (earth) connections to each indicator. In my experience this is the problem 99% of the time.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Assuming the O/S indicators come on (both of them) but don't flash
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline 350ducati

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:01:30 AM »
thanks for the replys guys, ill look into it. I presume it will be a bad contact

I took the bike out and it fixed itself! so when i get a second ill have a mess.

thanks  :)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:45:07 AM »
Aren't these bikes great? They fix themselves!

Seriously, it must be a bad connection and will stop working again at some stage.

Clean the earth connections and then go through the bullet connectors (but wait for a sunny afternoon).
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:40:57 AM »
I wish mine would fix itself! carbs not my stong point and they are well out of sorts, bike starts badly and rough tickover. Oh yeah and I've still got to make up my mind if I'll go electronic on the ignition and finish the shed it all lives in...... too much to do, not enough time.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 10:17:12 AM »
...if all else fails you could always remove the indicators altogether.  Not a solution for purists but I managed to solve the problem of forgetting to cancel my indicators.  I don't thing I would forget to put my arm down, but you never know...,,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal