Author Topic: If only ....BSA Bandit / Fury Analysis  (Read 805 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: If only ....BSA Bandit / Fury Analysis
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 12:03:58 AM »
Saw one of those in Wassell "museum" back in late 70's looked like it could have been good.

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 09:10:59 AM »
Showing my age, saw the BSA/Triumph range at a bike show in the day. Lots of interest, but unfortunately...........
There are a couple still about at the london motorcycle museum and the national motorcycle museum

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 01:41:26 PM »
Great technical read Ash. 104mph and 34bhp on a prototype 4-stroke twin in the early 70's was good going, no doubt there was more to come.
I know of several completed bikes that 'escaped' from the factory and fell into private hands later on. A couple of magazines have featured road tests of these and all were very positive.
When you consider most of the technical issues had been solved at prototype stage by Doug Hele who was in my opinion the most gifted engineer in terms of British bikes it was a real shame the lacklustre management of the day persistent faith in pouring funds that could have been used to productionise the Bandit instead of funding dead ends such as the Aerial 3 wheeler.
A book I would recommend to any bike fan is Bert Hopwood's 'Whatever happened to the British motorcycle industry' a brilliant read. The engineers were there ready and waiting, unfortunately the management were only interested in quick returns. A bit like Dragons Den on the TV!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 01:43:12 PM by Laverda120 »
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline Allington (Steve)

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 04:49:33 PM »
Great technical read Ash. 104mph and 34bhp on a prototype 4-stroke twin in the early 70's was good going, no doubt there was more to come.
I know of several completed bikes that 'escaped' from the factory and fell into private hands later on. A couple of magazines have featured road tests of these and all were very positive.
When you consider most of the technical issues had been solved at prototype stage by Doug Hele who was in my opinion the most gifted engineer in terms of British bikes it was a real shame the lacklustre management of the day persistent faith in pouring funds that could have been used to productionise the Bandit instead of funding dead ends such as the Aerial 3 wheeler.
A book I would recommend to any bike fan is Bert Hopwood's 'Whatever happened to the British motorcycle industry' a brilliant read. The engineers were there ready and waiting, unfortunately the management were only interested in quick returns. A bit like Dragons Den on the TV!

I can just imagine the British bike industry on Dragons Den  :)
"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing..."

FS1E - RD200 - CB500 - Norton Commando - Z900

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal