SOHC.co.uk Forums > CB750

Oil tank removal / cleaning

(1/3) > >>

Paulreade:
Hi guys
Have just changed the oil and filter on the k6 and just before I filled the oil tank I thought I'd have a look inside. There is around 6 mm of thick sludge in the bottom. None of this came out with the old oil so would have gone unnoticed had I not peeked in the actual tank. I proceeded to try and remove the tank until I noted a further feed / braided pipe at the rear which I could not get to ( obviously a feed and return pipe set up) So I re installed the tank and went ahead and filled it, with a view to doing another day.
I went on line and the only reference I could find with regard to its removal was to 'take the engine out' which appears a little drastic.
Has anyone removed it without too much of a strip down for a clean. Has anyone had any issues with the sludge - guess what I am asking is should I ensure its clean before I run it again. I'm sure this sludge has been in the tank for a while and it does not seem to have caused any issues to date , but thought I should get a second opinion on the matter ?
Regards
Paul

JamesH:

--- Quote from: Paulreade on January 15, 2019, 10:59:37 PM ---Hi guys
Have just changed the oil and filter on the k6 and just before I filled the oil tank I thought I'd have a look inside. There is around 6 mm of thick sludge in the bottom. None of this came out with the old oil so would have gone unnoticed had I not peeked in the actual tank. I proceeded to try and remove the tank until I noted a further feed / braided pipe at the rear which I could not get to ( obviously a feed and return pipe set up) So I re installed the tank and went ahead and filled it, with a view to doing another day.
I went on line and the only reference I could find with regard to its removal was to 'take the engine out' which appears a little drastic.
Has anyone removed it without too much of a strip down for a clean. Has anyone had any issues with the sludge - guess what I am asking is should I ensure its clean before I run it again. I'm sure this sludge has been in the tank for a while and it does not seem to have caused any issues to date , but thought I should get a second opinion on the matter ?
Regards
Paul

--- End quote ---
Paul - Give me a call tomorrow and I’ll talk you through this. Have this diagram in front of you as well.

But, in short, the tank can be removed and cleaned without removing the engine. It’s fiddly, but can be done...

Arch stanton:
Sorry for jumping in.
But in the detail bottom left of diagram. Is suggests Not all the oil goes through the filter eliment. Am I correct?
What is the purpose of the spring loaded valve inside the bolt?
Would it be possible to shorted the bolt thread by 10mm without compromising its operation?
I ask this because I want to fit a oil cooler I have had for years, but have lost the sandwich plate adapter bolt. So I have had one made but.
I cannot get the filter housing to close up to the plate. There is a 10mm gap. Shortening the thread on the filter bolt would cure this. But I'm worried that by doing so. I may restrict the oil flow.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Sean.

paul G:
Sean,
              The spring is a bypass valve in case the filter gets clogged up.
Regards,

Paulreade:
Will do James, any particular time ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version