Author Topic: Engine ID number - help needed  (Read 556 times)

Offline orange

• View Profile
Engine ID number - help needed
« on: January 16, 2019, 09:23:04 PM »
Hi All ,
  After searching through previous threads , there seems to be a list available to identify  an engine number.  But I'm unable to locate this.  Can someone point me in the wright direction please.   Thanks in advance

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Engine ID number - help needed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 11:50:46 PM »
Is it a UK or US bike? I have a US id book that will give me modle year.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:19:02 AM »
If it's a UK bike, post the engine number excluding the last two digits and I can see where it fits in with all our UK CB750 k2's. VIN number would help also.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline orange

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 10:57:22 AM »
Thanks for the reply guys.  My problem is that I'm not 100% sure which model it is. So this is the engine number CB 750E-25393 excluding the last two digits.   
  Vin No . CB750-2106821 , although I think , they may not have left the factory
  "together".
         Help would be appreciated as , I'm trying to order a replacement No 2 con rod and cannot get a 100% confirmation from either D. Silver or CMS , which model it is.
  If anyone could suggest any other suppliers ( preferably not USA for logistic reasons & lack of experience) . When I can confirm model ID
       Thanks in advance

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 01:48:25 PM »
OK, your bike is a UK or European direct sales K2 by the numbers given  ;)
All K2 had a VIN starting with 20 until they run out of 20 vin numbers and the last ones manufactured in 1974 (registered 1975 in the UK and Europe) had VIN numbers starting with 21. The engine is a match for that year so, more than likely the correct unit.

You should have the later type forks fitted and still have the unicorn top yoke and K2 clocks. If you post some pictures of the handlebar switches, i will know more.

You will never be able to order a con rod via the engine number, these rods were matched to the crank by size and weight. Tell me the markings on the rod ? and i will be able to match it from one that i have in stock.

Another question : Why do you need a replacement rod ?   
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 01:51:13 PM by Trigger »

Offline orange

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 06:10:22 PM »
Thanks Trigger for your reply.    Yes  ,  it was 1st registered in UK in May '75 . Some picks  of what your looking for I hope , will help.

Con rod  picks also. It's a No 2 from 3rd cylinder.  Trust me I'd rather not have to replace it BUT compared to the wrest of them the pin on the small end has some play in it. SO I assume the small end is worn. . I also plan to replace pistons with .75 oversize & rebore to match as it looks it's at. 5 as it is. Hence needing model ID for this also.

Take it easy on me  !!  I.E.    technical jargon ,  as this is my 1st restoration project.

Thanks   

P.S.  According to both D.Silver & CMS it's not UK  - confused !!!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:28:15 PM »
Photo's of the bike would help me  ???

The con rod has a number and a letter on it. What are those numbers and letter ?
Are the pistons marked with .50 on the crown (top) ? These are easy to rebore but, a lot of machine shops don't know how to bore them with the correct clearances.

PM me your number plate and i will do a search as to what country it is.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal