Author Topic: non obtainable parts  (Read 2358 times)

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
non obtainable parts
« on: June 15, 2008, 06:04:42 PM »
Not sure if anyone else is working on this or has a solution but I was considering looking into making replica airbox to carb rubbers using plaster moulds and silicon or such material (I'll research this if there were enough interest) thing is, is/has anyone else done this as I don't want to replicate work already done or step on anyones toes. What other parts are there that are non obtainable? I think We could perhaps club up our collective knowlege to start making life easyer. Some nice person was/ is for instance selling fiberglass rear mudguards of which I've got a couple off ebay second hand and while they are wrong for a restoration they are very practical. Maybe a section / list on useful contacts in one place on this site (have I just missed one?)
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: non obtainable parts
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:35:20 PM »
Having made and had unobtainable parts made I can tell you it needs research. A useful book on the subject of casting rubber parts is:
How to cast small metal and ruibber parts. by William A. Cannon. It's available from Amazon. The book covers mould making and using Devcon Flexane Liquid. A plaster mould might be OK for a 'one off' but to produce a quantity an aluminum mould would be the best way to go. I looked into making an unobtainable grommet but in the end found one I could modify for the purpose.

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 11:03:29 PM »
I

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:27:40 PM »
Cool 8) That sounds like fun
Possibly of use to make moulds for mass batches of top notch carb rubbers :) And I can think of oh so many uses, cb750 sandcast replica cases ;D. Maybe not but still could have lots of uses. I might well be in touch when my fizzing imagination has calmed to the extent where I can decide on a definately needed part I can either cast with helpful advice or commision............. brake calipers would be the ultimate challenge but wold be a machining job.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal