Author Topic: Brake Squeal  (Read 3096 times)

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Brake Squeal
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:28:18 AM »
A few weeks back I fitted new genuine Honda front brake pads to my 550 as part of the routine service.

Everything was cleaned up nicely and I coated the back of each pad with Copaslip and all was well. The pad to disc gap was set up correctly with a feeler gauge.

I've done a few hundred miles now and the pads are well bedded in but the front brake has started squealing very loudly and I sound like a no. 47 bus when I stop.

If I brake from 70 or 80 mph it doesn't happen but as the speed comes down it comes in and is there right down to when I stop. It's really loud!

Has anyone successfully cured this annoying problem?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 09:07:39 AM by Dave M »
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline 350ducati

• View Profile
Re: Brake Squeal
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:38:59 AM »
I also have genuine pads and have the very same problem, i find it doesnt squeek if i give the brake a good squeeze although its not ideal! If anyone has a cure that would be great, i know with cars they use a small pad/material behind the pad to stop this, wonder if it works with bikes?

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 02:10:48 PM »
Have you got that nylon ring between the pad and the piston?

Also put some production paper between the pads and disc (rough side to disc) and spin the wheel a few times with the paper draging to clean any secret additive (SH*T) from the disc appart from that "sorry sir they all do that, its a built in geriatric warning!"

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:03:44 PM »
I have heard it mentioned before but the old pads didn't do it. At least the brakes work very well.

As for the nylon ring Bryan, I'm not sure. Should there be one there? Is it needed? Can I get one if it's missing?

Questions, questions...
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline dave400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 04:56:14 PM »
My 400 has the nylon washer and guess what Dave

Offline Dave M

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who squeals!

It's so loud though!
Dave
Melbourne.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 10:54:53 PM »
Mine did that for a while then stopped randomly, fairly sure nylon disk thingy was fitted though I cann't be sure as if I get a problem I just nick a bit off one of my spares bikes ;D Best bet ride the nuts off it and hope it stops. I'm fairly sure the pads in mine are pattern as I'm too tight to use genuine. The squeal lasted for a few months commuting then went for no real reason.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 10:13:02 AM »
My front brake has always made a terrible scream.  I find it comforting though because it seems to be about the only thing going on down there!  At least people can hear me coming up to a corner, which I am sure must be a good thing.  I don't think it's possible to eliminate it completely.  Last time it went quiet the brake needed adjusting and was performing worse than ever.  As soon as I had adjusted it the familiar squeal returned.  I am sorry that this doeasn't help, just offering solidarity from a fellow front brake noise polluter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal