Author Topic: Inter-changeability  (Read 416 times)

Davelu88

Inter-changeability
« on: January 20, 2019, 07:17:21 PM »
Hi All , i have a CB550 K1 coming soon & im sure it will need a few bits , my question is are there any parts from other models EG: 500 say that are interchangeable if i cant find what im looking for . Thanks in advance ;D

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Inter-changeability
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 07:34:32 PM »
Some and some. Depends a lot on if you swap whole assemblies on some items. Purists will spot the substitutions from a mile away. I swapped parts between them with abandon, but have lots of bits so if I swapped wheels and found the rear brake bound on then swapping the brake plate over too was no drama. Best check as items crop up, some footrests fold to clear exhausts or kickstarters, other models dont need to so dont. Center stands may foul the chain if wrong model exhaust and exhaust brakets mount to different places, if you dont mind making a bracket then practically speaking that can be overcome, but swap seats or petrol tanks, things get to be a pain the the backside.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Davelu88

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 07:39:30 PM »
Only asking as looking at the 500 KO i cant see a difference , and the purists will never be happy ;D

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 07:50:20 PM »
Yeah, just check bits as you go, some models the tank comes back an inch further, fouls the seat etc. 500k0, the seat is rather different, wont fit I think. If you do wind up getting a bargin spare bit that turns out not to fit, worth asking on here as a swap for the right bit may be possible and saves both parties chopping bits about. Or the bracket you need may be sat in a spare bits box someplace.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 07:56:24 PM »
As long as its a proper 550K1(i.e.US MODEL) all the cycle parts will fit and engine parts above the base gasket plus crank, rods, points and generator. Some parts like shocks and forks would need to be swapped as complete assemblies(pairs if 2 of them) due to internal differences.

Davelu88

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 08:03:07 PM »
Bryant, what do you mean by cycle parts ,and yes it's a US K1

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 08:05:48 PM »
 Sump pan and oil pump Bryan  ;D ;D ;D

Davelu88

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »
Cheers Graham  ;D

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 08:09:56 PM »
Bryant, what do you mean by cycle parts ,and yes it's a US K1

Wheels  ;)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 09:21:08 PM »
Basically everything left after you take the engine out. Clocks are a different size but will fit, loom conectors are spades not pins but complete system will fit, yes sump pan, oil pump, sprocket, filter housing and bolt, neutral switch, oil pressure switch, points cover, alternator cover some gearchange parts but in my defence i was trying to make it easy!!

Davelu88

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 09:41:22 PM »
Cheers Bryanj  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal