Author Topic: New here, HI  (Read 2390 times)

Offline the godfather

• View Profile
New here, HI
« on: June 12, 2008, 11:13:52 PM »
Hi just joined and already have questions. I had a 500/4 26 years ago and still looked back with great feelings for one again. I got hold of one a couple of weeks ago and need a bit of help/advice. The bike is missing the tool tray under the seat. Am I right in thinking this doubles as a lid to the air filter, as Ive covered half the top of the box with duct tape and it now runs a little better. The bike ticks over eratic and held  back at 6K revs under load. Once I get this sorted I can then look at the carbs.
The tool trays are discontinued so does anyone have one for sale, or one I could loan to make a mould. I could then make a GRP one, or more if other people want one.

Cheers for any help

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: New here, HI
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 09:52:14 AM »
Where in the country are you? You're right it is top of airbox and tool tray combined I've got a  tool tray and could try taking a mould, then lay up resin and fiberglass but sadly as stuff lent often goes astray I wouldnt let one go even for loan. The later cb550 ones can be used, though they don't include the tool tray, they do however keep the airfilter dryer if you intend heavy winter use and outdoor stays.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »
They come up regularly on www.ebay.com ----the US site and i have found that most yanks will ship to UK if asked nicely first but do be advised that the US Post Office no longer do surface mail so everything goes airmail which can get a bit pricey on heavy stuff

Offline the godfather

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 01:16:54 PM »
Where in the country are you? You're right it is top of airbox and tool tray combined I've got a  tool tray and could try taking a mould, then lay up resin and fiberglass but sadly as stuff lent often goes astray I wouldnt let one go even for loan. The later cb550 ones can be used, though they don't include the tool tray, they do however keep the airfilter dryer if you intend heavy winter use and outdoor stays.

I live on the Isle of Wight. Understandable about lending out but thought id ask, I am a boat builder by trade and have made many patterns and plugs. Thought there might be a demand for them if I could get hold of one. Not having seen one I cant tell if its a simple take off or a split mould so may be too much trouble. I am very trust worthy honest  ;)

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 02:13:17 PM »
I've got one that I'll trust you with.

PM me an address (and a name) and I'll pack it up.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal